Initial workflow lua script

No need to apologise, to say the least. I don’t think I have more than one config folder, though I had to create a Darktable folder within the config path. It’s fairly late here so I’ll leave it for today. Thanks for your help

Then something is wrong, as darktable stores all its config files (darktablerc, the database and so on) in there.

• What Linux distro?
  • How did you install darktable? Built it yourself, distro package, AppImage, Flatpak, snap?
  • What happens if you try to find darktablerc? Try the following command: locate darktablerc
  • How do you start darktable? With a script of your own making, or from a desktop icon? Do you (via the script of the icon) supply any command-line arguments?
  • If you start it from the command-line with darktable -d common, what directories are listed at the start? Of course, if you use other options in a startup script or desktop icon, add them as well as -d common. I get:
    $ darktable -d common
    0.0001 application_directory: /home/kofa/darktable-master/bin
    0.0001 darktable.datadir: /home/kofa/darktable-master/share/darktable
    0.0001 darktable.plugindir: /home/kofa/darktable-master/lib/darktable
    0.0001 darktable.localedir: /home/kofa/darktable-master/share/locale
=== this is the important line ===
    0.0001 darktable.configdir: /home/kofa/.config/darktable
=== this is the important line ===
    0.0001 darktable.cachedir: /home/kofa/.cache/darktable
    0.0001 darktable.sharedir: /home/kofa/darktable-master/share
    0.0001 darktable.tmpdir: /tmp
    [... rest of output omitted ...]
1 Like

It’s Ubuntu
I thought it was through Flatpak but…

If i run -d common, i get:

usage: /snap/darktable/96/usr/bin/darktable [options] [IMG_1234.{RAW,…}|image_folder/]

and a load of options. I don’t get that long list of directories that you get

Looking in the snap folder, I find:

So I have two darktable folders, it seems. I don’t know why. I guess I need to delete the third one I created in .config, though that did allow me to install the script manager in darktable… and I guess I’ll try following the instructions using the current path in the “96” folder.

Edit: OK. I’ve done this now:

And the initial workflow script now appears when I start up Darktable.

I guess that’s probably solved the issue. I don’t know if those extra darktable folders matter or not or if I can safely step away from the terminal now.

Many thanks

So you have a snap package. I have had nothing but trouble with snap packages; I’ve actually managed to get rid of snap completely, and don’t want to go back. I cannot help you any further, sorry.

2 Likes

No worries. Thanks. It does seem to work now, fwiw

In case of interest, it seems I somehow downloaded an update of Darktable a few months or so back unintentionally as a snap package. That would make sense as I noticed (I think from 4.2) that a much reduced database of cameras/lenses was showing up in lens correction. I found an old post on here:

in which it becomes clear that snap packages can’t access the lensfun database on the system and so I followed a link posted by @paperdigits to a flatpak update of Darktable.

That’s now installed, though I had to import several months of images back to the library. I’m guessing my image database might now be a bit all over the place and I will have to reconfigure the new copy of Darktable again.

Thanks again for the help

PS. And now all your instructions on installing initialworkflow work fine. Sigh

2 Likes

Thanks @priort and @kofa, I have got it working. The step I was previously missing was installing Git. Once I had installed that and run the cloning process, the Lua folders were added to my config directory and the rest was painless.

Not sure if it was just the way I approached it all, but it seems the information to get a script up and running is all over the place. If I’m not mistaken, the part about installing Git is completely absent from the Lua section of the darktable manual. Thankfully this forum exists to get help.

As for the script, it seems to work like a charm. I’m not sure if I’ll use it much because I have already created styles that automatically apply some modules and settings that I like on every image. But it’s another useful tool and if the changes to white balance / color calibration defaults remain in the next release (no longer able to choose “legacy”), then this script might be essential.

Nice… even if you used it to set the tone eq mask the color balance masks and white and black for filmic it can save a few clicks, also I like to set the starting exposure using the 50% autopicker in the exposure module rather than a fixed value… so those aspects are nice if trying to automate… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s going to save me so much time. Being able to automagically set a bunch of oft-used parameters after importing 100s of pics… I already used it to do basic edits on nine simple snaps that I wanted to share in a quick and easy way without spending time processing them. Good stuff

I’ve submitted some updates to the documentation to improve that.

3 Likes

https://docs.darktable.org/lua/stable/lua.scripts.manual/installation/

Yes, it’s in the Lua manual, but not the main user manual.

There is a new release of the Initial Workflow Script.

Depending on the darktable language configuration, the script outputs are now in English or German. The basis for further translations has been prepared.

You can find it here: GitHub - UliGesing/Darktable-Initial-Workflow-Module: This script extends darktable. It offers a new "inital workflow" module both in lighttable and darkroom view. It can be used to do some configuration for an initial image workflow.

The Readme describes how to install it and where to find the installation archive.

Do you want to translate script outputs into your language? Please let me know. Together we can do that. After a short training, it’s fairly easy to deal with gettext tools, .po files, .mo files and to upload your translation to the Github repository. You don’t have to be a programmer for this, the translation is done in separate text files.

@difrkaguilar Are you ready? We could start with the translation to Spanish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is now documented here: darktable 4.6 user manual - lua scripts installer

For the module to be able to install the scripts, you will need to have git installed and available on your path. You can get it from git-scm.com.

The officially supported scripts are documented here.

The module can be disabled with an option in preferences > lua options.

4 Likes

Hello,

Excellent news!!!

Now I’m quite busy, but I’m going to find time to help with the translation to Spanish. As you post I don’t have to be a programmer for that task. :slight_smile:

You point that texts are in a separate file. Were is it? And how can I help?.

Greetings from Habana. Cuba.

2 Likes

You can find the file here: Darktable-Initial-Workflow-Module/InitialWorkflowModule.po at main · UliGesing/Darktable-Initial-Workflow-Module · GitHub

If you need help just tell me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, this is great!

At the moment I have some ideas to reorganize the graphical user interface. This makes it more flexible and easier to understand. This will take a few days and will change some outputs. I could come back to you next week and we can discuss the details. Maybe then you won’t be as busy anymore. Is that okay for you?

2 Likes

Great!!

1 Like

Hi,

there is a new release of the darktable Initial Workflow script.

The new version provides a reorganized and more flexible user interface. There are new options and more supported modules in darkroom view. It supports additional languages for the main controls, depending on the configuration in the darktable settings.

Details, readme, download and installation instructions: GitHub - UliGesing/Darktable-Initial-Workflow-Module: This script extends darktable. It offers a new "inital workflow" module both in lighttable and darkroom view. It can be used to do some configuration for an initial image workflow.

I am looking forward for your comments and suggestions! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

there is one limitation: If you use script manager to start this script: After extracting the release archive, please rename the installation folder, remove the last digits:

examples/Darktable-Initial-Workflow-Module-1.2.0
to
examples/Darktable-Initial-Workflow-Module

It seems, script manager does not like these special characters…