Instead of a Thousand Words | A Street Photography Photobook Unboxing and First Impressions

In this video I unbox my first photobook and share my first impressions. For me it’s quite an accomplishment, so you will kindly excuse my naive, or perhaps even obnoxious enthusiasm.

While this was done simply for my own enjoyment, if there is demand there will be copies available for sale. Get in touch with me if you’re interested.

Now, I’m aware that this may easily come across as self promotion, and it perhaps is, but the message I’d like to put out with this endeavour is that pro-level work can be done with FOSS.

All photos in the book were processed and edited with RawTherapee and GIMP on Linux.

8 Likes

Congratulations, Radu. The book looks beautiful. You seem very pleased and you should be! The layout of the photos on the page is very interesting, I’ve never seen that layout before. Is it common in your area?

Thank you. I am thrilled, to be honest.

I approached sequencing and laying out the book very intuitively, much like I approach photography in general. I have only ever seen a couple other photobooks, and those were when I was browsing the photography section in the local bookstores. To be honest, I don’t think I’ve seen this layout before, it just seemed to make sense to me.

I have no concept, nor much of a plan or discipline when it comes to my photography. I am not learned, or educated in the field, I just do what feels right to me, come hell or high water. I basically have no “heroes”, no favourites, in the way of well-known, super-star photographers. The photographers that do inspire me the most are actually people I know in real life.

1 Like

Very nice book. The speakers on my laptop are broken, so I took “Instead of a Thousand Words” literally and watched the presentation of the book without sound. Was very impressive. I don’t know what I missed in audio information though :innocent:.

Not a lot if I’m being honest…

1 Like

That’s a very nice book, Radu.

The layout is rather different but works very well indeed. Often times an image doesn’t come out nice on a multi page layout due to the book binding, too obviously, cutting it vertically. This doesn’t seem to be the case here, though.

Impressed and a little bit envious (in a good way).

3 Likes