Interesting Leica video advertisement

When I saw this add camouflaged as a mini doc on some mainstream site immediately I thought shiiitt not gonna click to that but me fingers thought differently and so downloaded the video into the procrastinator’s neverending watch list. The shortest videos tend to go out first so… It wasn’t like a revelation but I admit that it had enough psychology, brainbranding and script structure that I enjoyed it. Especially the clever and minimalistic bright cleanness, the statement on showing the white faced men and more prominently women assembling the camera through a high key-ish mood and most of all the superb, funny (at least to me) use of silence and noise.

Despite I recognize their quality, mostly regarding the construction of their “mythic” (when there was still unicorn dust available… apple kidnapped the poor guy since) analogic cameras and their lenses’ character - I have zero interest in Leica products, but I do in understanding the construction ( real and fabricated) of the idea of what a Leica is.

I don’t want one either, but I love the range finder aesthetic and Leica is certainly near the top!

My late Dad had one…can’t find it though.

@paperdigits and the rangefinder experience is something else too

@elGordo 3 feet right to the willow tree pointing NW. :stuck_out_tongue:  I bought my first SLR (an absolute metal solid of a seventh hand pentax brick where lenses still screw and screamed) and a pretty decent 50mm with just a Leica’s eye viewer I found at my granpa’s house.

The rangefinder approach is what almost got me to pull the trigger on an X-Pro 2 last week (soooo close). I may still go that way.

Leica certainly has a cult following, and I feel like much of it may be due to the fact that they had built a few models that were just flat-out amazing cameras that became the standard that many influential and popular photographers used through the ages. That, plus the romantic “idea” of being a street/documentary photographer probably helped accelerate the near-mythical status of the brand.

Don’t get me wrong, they made incredible cameras and coupled it with amazing optics at the time, and it’s a great lesson in going all-in on quality and results.

Also, I really want one.

PS (pre scrotum)
Pat a couple of photographers I admire and secretely send flowers, bombons and dead pidgeons, use rangefinders, one of them uses the xpro =)

The good thing 'bout rangefinders is that you can easily and stylishly decorate your neck with more than one no matter what car you drive…

it’s also said to open doors to other dimensions (just don’t mind me ladies)

if you’re not a war photographer though the “etiquette” urges you to ditch the sweatpants and buy a chic blazer

3 Likes