Interesting phone app: Saulala with AGX

11 Likes

I’ve tried it on a few photos, it’s pretty easy to use and the results are nice :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Note that the app is called Saulala, not AGX.

3 Likes

Modified the title

Edited title, category and added tags for clarity and searchability. Neat app: has a Lightroom feel, but much more minimalist, which is what I like.

Edit: Thanks @nish for the initial impressions. It would be great if you could post some examples on what you could accomplish. :wink:

I installed it and gave it a quick try. It is easy to use, but it’s early days and not yet feature complete. It would be interesting to see a roadmap and know what is coming next. Is the author a member here?

Not that I am aware, but @priort appears to have been following them for at least a year, so perhaps Todd could send an invite. :wink:

Not as much flexibility as darktable, so I feel like I’m inclined to edit with a certain style, but the tone and color handling feel good (as in, the sliders will keep you with a reasonable image and are intuitive)

4 Likes

He has some really nice DT video’s on targeted topics. And he seems like a really nice guy… I stumbled on to his YT channel and started to follow it some time ago… It will be interesting to see where this goes… My Pixel can’t run android 13 so I can’t actually try it but he may widen support…

1 Like

I haven’t tried it out yet, but will!
Looks rather good.

I was considering sending an invite via Github. Anyone know if the app is actually open source? Obviously not suggesting it ‘should be’ or anything else, just curious. The Github page is only for issue tracking, not code as far as I could see.

Someone asked him this in the YT comments and he said unlikely because of Android requirements. I really like his channel and his DT videos, among other things. Technical while being clear. (I still miss Aurelien’s F-bombs, tho.) Plans for MacOS and Windies.

2 Likes

He knows of this forum and was here, not sure if he still is.

1 Like

I liked this very much. Would be a long awaited open source raw converter for Android, if it’s open source.

The GitHub repo has a readme and a privacy policy as its only code, and no license is shown. Doesn’t appear likely to me that it’s FOSS.

1 Like

Quick processing attempts on an Xperia 1 III RAW.

Saulala

Snapseed

This was also my first RAW processing with Snapseed.

I don’t know whether or not Snapseed is considered any good for RAW processing. (I use it for easy editing of JPEGs, and I don’t have Lightroom installed.) But Saulala does seem to give a much more natural result.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

The demosaicing appears to be our tried and true AMaZE, which is better than whatever Snapseed is using. The colour details are much better and colour in general is more natural.

A slight issue with the app for me (at present) is that it doesn’t apply the gainmap on my Nokia x30 dng files, so there’s heavy vignetting and a colour shift.
He’s apparently aware of the issue though, so I live in hope. :slight_smile: