Interview Questions for Faces of Open Source photographer

The photographer behind the Faces of Open Source has agreed to do an interview with us! That’s super awesome and an excellent way to shine the light on his excellent work, free and open source software, and our own forum! The rare win-win-win, if you will.

We would love it if you all would contribute some questions to ask during the interview, so please ask them below!

6 Likes

Don’t you hate it when @paperdigits beats you to a post? :slight_smile:

So, as he says, if we have some time with an artist with a neat project like this, what type of questions do you think would be interesting to ask? Feel free to brainstorm here and I’ll use these suggestions as starting points for other future interviews as well!

I will start:

Who was the most interesting person you photographed?

What was your favorite story from/of your subjects?

Do you have a background in FOSS?

How did you come up with this idea?

What do you hope the average person takes away from looking at your photographs?

What software did you use to process these photos? :wink:

What’s your favorite FOSS application?

1 Like

Lastly, why isn’t there a photo of @patdavid included in the series?

1 Like

I also miss photos of @hanatos and @houz in this series

1 Like

and if you haven’t used FOSS, why ?
What do you think is missing in FOSS software for photography / image retouching ?

2 Likes

From the FAQ:

Why didn’t you include ____?

There are a few reasons someone might be missing from the project:

[…]
3. The person declined to participate.

1 Like

How where these photos done (camera, settings, lighting etc)?

Why are all photographs in black and white (no color in open source :wink:)?

Why are some people shown in different postures and sometimes the face only? Who decided this, the sitter, the photographer?

1 Like

Another one: has working with open source taught you anything applicable beyond computer code?

I guess you know that your answer leaves more questions than it answers … E.g., is something wrong with the project and is it the reason you declined? Or one could simply summarise: Why?

I just prefer to stand in the back of the crowd, watching, instead of being watched.

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight :grinning:. I stop now with followup questions, otherwise one could argue this is an interview :wink:.

That’s what good photographers should do :grinning:.

2 Likes

I follow and enjoy a podcast called The Candid Frame by a gentleman called Ibarionex Perello. He poses good questions and carries a great conversation with his guests. In particular, his last question could be adapted for our uses — in verbatim:

Well my last question that I ask each guest is I ask them to recommend another photographer for our listeners to discover and explore, and it can be anyone, someone that you have long admired or someone that you have recently discovered. So who would that one photographer be and why?

He gives his guest the opportunity to answer this question in the way that they see fit; i.e., it doesn’t have to be a photographer. It could be a book, an organization or a bunch of people. Anything really.

These are all great, everyone, thank you! Please keep them coming! I’ll collate all of them and integrate it into a general guide for me when doing the actual interview.

I have now gotten an interview time tonight with Peter - so last call for any questions that you would like to add to the list for me to ask him!

1 Like

Great! Looking forward to read the interview.

We’ve had to reschedule until next week, so there’s a brief reprieve on adding more questions. :slight_smile: