Introducing color calibration module (formerly known as channel mixer rgb)

Donate here: https://en.liberapay.com/aurelienpierre/
No perks, just honest donation with no strings attached either way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, and saving me the search.

I donā€™t understand that remark. Visualisation is a key skill in mathematics, which is invakuable in informing your reasoning. I would think that a person who lacks visual skills would be the one struggling with maths, because otherwise they are reduced to shuffling digits and latters around on the page according to some arcane set of rules, which is only going to take you so farā€¦

2 Likes

I am not a psychologist or educator. I think normally the comparison is examined as it is here and in many ways supports what you are saying but perhaps also better frames what the comment in question should have clarifiedā€¦

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ875427.pdf

The only thing that I feel ā€˜uncomfortableā€™ with is the unfortunate use of the word ā€˜invalidā€™ that appears to be used on 95% of my images. The word indicates to me that something is definitely wrong with the results that I an seeing and frankly the results, to me, look really first class.
Yes, it is a silly thing but I think that there is a need for a better word or phrase here.
invalid

3 Likes

As a guy with mathematical formation I strongly agree with this.

I recall that ā€œLearning stylesā€ based teaching has been debunked for a while by now.

It may be debunked but you will find pages on many universities still touting it as part of their teaching philosophy. I do believe that it has been shown that learning is not better as demonstrated by test results when people are stratified however people still self identify or perceive themselves to be in one of these categories in many situations and will as a result feel more in their comfort zoneā€¦

1 Like

The word ā€˜invalidā€™ applies to the value for colour temperature (in your example 3739K), not for whether the white balance in the image is valid or not. Since the light source in your scene doesnā€™t fall on the Planckian locus, then the temperature value is only an approximation of the sceneā€™s illuminant, and is not really a valid representation of that illuminant. As you say, the actual colour balance that you observe in your image is perfectly fine valid; itā€™s just that it canā€™t be accurately described by using a single temperature value.

I agree with you here ā€“ the word will worry a lot of people who havenā€™t read the manual. Iā€™ve tried to find a better one but I canā€™t think of anything. Iā€™m open to alternatives.

1 Like

how about ā€œIGNOREā€ haha

1 Like

The math model used to link color temperature in K to the color of the illuminant is used out of its domain of validity. Thatā€™s what is meant by invalid: donā€™t trust the number.

Now, Iā€™m not native EN speaker, shoot if you have suggestions.

2 Likes

Agreed, but without that longer explanation, the word ā€œinvalidā€ on its own is going to cause people to think theyā€™ve done something wrong. As I say, though, Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a simple one-word solution to this problem (edit: apart from removing the term entirely).

1 Like

What about ā€œartificialā€ or perhaps ā€œarbitraryā€?
While not as precise as ā€œinvalidā€, they would perhaps be less alarming?

1 Like

Instead of ā€œinvalidā€ why donā€™t use the suggested action? Like ā€œuse custom illuminantā€ (but this is a long string). The tooltip description is perfect.

ā€œinvalidā€ stands for ā€œnot blackbodyā€, right?

How about something descriptive about temperatures or blackbody radiators? ā€œcoloredā€ might actually fit the bill; or ā€œtintedā€, as an analogy to the old temperature&tint sliders.

I like ā€œtintedā€.

1 Like

Perhaps ā€œcustomā€ would be sufficient?

5 Likes

I donā€™t know if itā€™s the case or not, but if the given number is an approximation of the temperature, then maybe ā€œapproximateā€ or ā€œapproximationā€ could be less scary and as descriptive as ā€œinvalidā€ ?

3 Likes

Or ā€œn/aā€ (not applicable)

5 Likes

or ā€œout of rangeā€ ?

2 Likes

The model is valid for blackbody spectrum between 2800 and 8000 K. Outside of these bounds, itā€™s not an approximation, is dead wrong. Itā€™s like computing air friction forces on a supersonic aircraft (\propto v^2) with subsonic fluid dynamics (\propto v) : you are off by a ^2. Nobody will die at the end, but it is no excuse to get sloppy. When valid, the model is an approximation already. When invalid, itā€™s shit, really.