Introducing RawWorks - A New Web App for Editing Raw Photos

I’m seeing this too unfortunately…

Sorry I haven’t done a proper side by side… It’s a subtle difference, but it is there.
I’m using a display profile made with a Spyder.

@clind @123sg

Really thanks for the example of the color problem.

I don’t have a calibrated monitor on hand, but I’ll try to reproduce the problem first and then fix it.

1 Like

@clind @123sg

I’ve release a new version v0.0.16
Now you can press f to make the photo display in fullscreen.

I’ve tried the GIMP difference method on my macOS.

• The Color profile of the display is Color LCD. (it’s the default macos color profile which is close to Display P3 and has bigger color range than sRGB).
  • The gfx settings of Firefox v109 are all default.

There is no difference between the exported JPG file and the photo in the web.

I also tried to tweak the Firefox gfx settings, by:

1. Change gfx.color_management.display_profile to a custom ICC file(I used one ITU-2020.icc and one AdobeRGB1998.icc for test).
  2. Change gfx.color_management.mode to 1 for Full color management.

Still make no difference.

Don’t know what’s missed to reproduce the color issue. Since I don’t have windows laptop with me for now, I’ll try Linux later.

If it was only me I’d assume it was some peculiarity of my system… but @clind had it too. I will try it on my Win 10 laptop later today. See if there is any difference.

1 Like

Thanks. I do appreciate for that.

You can use the new f short key to do comparison easily.

1 Like

I discovered something interesting: my laptop running Win 10 also has Firefox, but it has the ‘Extended Color Management’ extension. With this extension set to “color passthrough disabled”, my colors match perfectly :slightly_smiling_face:, at least when I open them in Firefox and use the new fullscreen mode to compare (nice btw!).

If I set that Firefox extension to “color passthrough enabled” the problem comes back.

I just installed the add on to Firefox on my main Win 11 desktop, and after a little trouble getting it to become active (it says to restart firefox, but my Firefox wasn’t closing properly for some reason…) it works just the same, as long as I set the extension to “pass-through disabled”.
RawWorks works perfectly, the jpeg matches in the browser, and also if I open the jpg in GIMP, that matches too.
Only thing is that the JPG viewed in Windows Photos does not match, but I think Photos is well known for not being color managed so that’s probably irrelevant.

I’m not really sure what’s happening here, but hopefully all this might help?

This is the extension:

1 Like

really interesting, I’ll try to look into this this weekend and “crosstest” to see if this manipulation/extension modify the display of rawWorks colours (I hope) or the display of the opened jpd (if it’s the case I’m screwed as right now opened image in forefox match my the display of the same image in geeqie which is color managed apps).

Would that mean that this extension or a special setting in ff is required for rawWorks to properly display in firefox on systems using colour management ?

1 Like

Very useful information.

Do you mean “color passthrough disabled” = Extended Color Management enabled?

As my guess, when Firefox is “pass-through disabled” as you said, the WebGL canvas in FF is working in sRGB mode. When Firefox is “color passthrough enabled”, it will use your system color profile to handle WebGL content. But I put a sRGB icc profile to the exported JPG, FF will still render it in sRGB mode because it’s tagged. So the display won’t match I think.

Would that mean that this extension or a special setting in ff is required for rawWorks to properly display in firefox on systems using colour management ?

@clind

Since JavaScript cannot detect or change the color space of WebGL content(Except that Chromium based browser can be set to sRGB or Display P3 by code), one method we can try is to embed monitor’s icc profile to the exported JPG file. Users need to choose their own icc profile to replace the default sRGB icc file used in program. But these kind of JPG can only be displayed properly in color managed image viewer.

I’ll update a version later to allow custom ICC profile for embedding.

I tried this add-on in FF, it didn’t affect the result in macOS whether it’s turned on or off. :smiling_face_with_tear:

UPDATE: I managed to reproduce the color in my macOS now.

1 Like

I’m not sure - I don’t know much about this add-on, and the “pass-through enabled/disabled” settings are the only two options, when it’s installed. I had presumed that "pass-through disabled’ was the same as ‘normal’ FF, but as it makes a difference I’m not so sure. Sorry I’m vague - color management is not one of my strong points. :slightly_frowning_face:
As far as I’m concerned, at least on windows, I’m quite happy to just use the add-on, and leave it at that, but I don’t know whether there could be other ramifications.

Oh, I’m so stupid, I didn’t use the add-on in the right way. Now I managed to reproduce the color issue in my mac now.

With pass through enabled, the color are more vibrant because FF directly use the Color LCD profile in macOS. The exported JPG displays differently in other photo viewer apps, because they use embedded sRGB profile to render the JPG content. But if we put the JPG into FF(with pass through enabled), FF will still use Color LCD to render it. So the JPG in FF will still look the same as the rendered canvas in web.

Many thanks for telling me about this plugin!! Now I can run the test locally.

1 Like

A new version v0.0.17 is released. Now we can embed our own icc profile in the output JPG.

In my test in macOS with Color LCD profile in Firefox:

Define:

• C = Rendered canvas in web
  • JsRGB = Exported JPG with sRGB profile embedded
  • JColorLCD = Exported JPG with Color LCD profile embedded
  • InFF = Open in Firefox
  • InPhotoViewer = Open in a normal photo viewer which can read ICC profile
  • InGIMP1 = Open in GIMP and keep the working space
  • InGIMP2 = Open in GIMP and convert the working space though the Saturation or Absolute colorimetric rendering indent

In my test when enable color pass-through:

C = JsRGB(InFF) = JColorLCD(InPhotoViewer) = JColorLCD(InGIMP1) = JColorLCD(InGIMP2)

other conditions are not equal to these ones.

Though this result that:

1. C does not equal to JColorLCD(InFF)
  2. C equals to JsRGB(InFF)

We can get that the display color will be convert twice in Firefox(enable color pass-through) .

1. Canvas → sRGB → Color LCD
  2. JsRGB → sRGB → Color LCD
  3. JColorLCD → Color LCD → Color LCD (it becomes more vivid than normal photo viewer)

So 1 equals to 2, and 1 does not equal to 3.

@123sg @clind

Thanks for your work!
I just tried the new version, and if I select my system sRGB profile (in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color my exported jpgs look perfect when viewed in FF, even without the FF color management add-on installed.

Strangely though, when opening a jpg exported with sRGB profile applied with GIMP, the colors revert to the ‘wrong’ look.

Also, GIMP doesn’t pop up with it’s usual window asking if I want to convert to the GIMP built-in
sRGB space, which it normally does with all jpgs. I afraid I don’t know if this means anything useful :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The file looks right in darktable though - I don’t what the difference is between dt and GIMP. They’re both set to use my display profile.

:face_with_spiral_eyes:

Someone please collect the Firefox colour management info in a new thread. :wink:
I am sure it would be valuable to people (and for me to bookmark :stuck_out_tongue:).

I’d be happy to, except I haven’t really a clue what I’m doing… :roll_eyes: I don’t think I’d know what is info and what is mistakes!

You have no need to manually select the sRGB profile. It’s the default if the ICC profile checkbox is unchecked.

You need to select the system working profile.

Like for macOS, it’s Color LCD by default.

For windows, use the device profile in Color Management.

If the device profile is sRGB, then you don’t need to check the ICC profile checkbox.

GIMP doesn’t pop up with it’s usual window

That’s weird. In macOS, whether the ICC profile checkbox is checked or not, the exported JPG can cause a conversion dialog in GIMP. Could you upload the problem JPG file here?

The result in GIMP is identical to the result in photo viewer after I do a difference check.

The Color Management part of my GIMP’s settings are all default.

Yep.

Right… my Windows color management screen is the same as the screenshot you show. However I use the Spyder software, which loads the calibrated profile when I start up… I’ve no idea how this relates. I’ll see what heppens when I set the system profile as you describe, a bit later.

1 Like

Could you try to select the calibrated profile in RawWorks and then do the export?

The JPG you upload do have a problem. It’s ICC profile data is lost. Maybe your selected ICC file has a restriction that Firefox cannot read it.

Anyway, please try with the calibrated profile icc file.

The forum may be purging the metadata. Let us know if that is what is happening. @123sg could try putting it in a container like ZIP.

1 Like

Yes, I just discovered it was user error - the profile I thought I was selecting turned out to be an empty file (don’t know why it’s there!). @afre thanks for the suggestion. It was closer to home than that! anyway, my system profile as far as windows is concerned is sRGB so I suppose I should leave it unchecked.

1 Like

The version v0.0.19 is out.

It now supports normal uncompressed DNG file. Please feel free to have a try with the DNGs from your phone.

1 Like