Introducing the filmic module in darktable

Exactly, the quote I did before is from that link.

I apologize in advance for ignorance. But I would love to use this module. Is it possible and how is it happening? I can not install anything from git without guidance. So can someone kindly educate me.

If you are on linux you are a lucky person and can use Install package graphics:darktable:master / darktable

… and if you are on Manjaro, it is easier still :grin:

Otherwise, I can talk you through it, if needed.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Manjaro is Arch based right? gimme a PKG-BUILD file and I can also build that for you. It is supported after all. as you can see here:

Moinchen, Marcus!

Yes, Manjaro is based on Arch.

I do not think that it is needed, thanks, since Manjaro (via AUR) already picks up darktable-git automagically.

Actually, transferring to Manjaro was a great, positive surprise for me.

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

Thank you for your answer. I meant how to install the filmic module in darktable, if possible. I have Mint 19 and darktable 2.4.4.

You need to use the development branch of darktable currently to get the filmic module. You can’t install one-off modules in darktable.

Okey! So I need advice on how to build a development branch. As I said earlier, I have no experience with such an installation.

Google is your friend!

go down to Install from source,
Prerequisites and then follow the instructions under git version verbatim.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

And, please, make a backup of your data base and your xmp files before, once upgraded to a new major release, there’s no way back, and even more risky, this is early beta software. That does not mean you shouldn’t try it, everybody is happy about new testers, but please ensure you know what you are doing.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answers but I look forward to that
Pascal de Bruijn gets his PPA package ready.

Isn’t downgrading just a matter of restoring ~/.config/darktable (from that backup you’ve mentioned)?
Anyway, the dev version seems pretty stable, although I didn’t stressed it too much. Besides filmic, I worked with exposure, shadows/highlights, tone curves and low pass and didn’t have a glitch.
But I agree that it’s important to consider that it is an unstable version.

No, we just had it that the upgrade of the blendops in the xmp broke so your image edit are broken too. The best is to have the XMP file in git. I have a script in bin/darktable which backups my database files every day. I can paste it here later.

1 Like

In some cases not. All xmp were upgraded in the back to a newer blenops version. Now I know why dt created heavy disc loads a few days ago. I will restore all xmp from a backup before.

Currently, there is a lot development going on. I hope that none of such incidents happened will make into the next release.

1 Like

Well the package that you can get via Install package graphics:darktable:master / darktable is based on the debian build files from the official debian package, just using the latest source code.

@anon41087856
color balance module is executed before filmic one.
Having set filmic sliders, then balance sliders (TFM workflow :slight_smile: ). But doing this we modify the input of filmic.
As a consequence one cannot use anymore the color picker of filmic. And probably that could also unbalance some limit settings done on filmic.
I don’t find this place the most logical one.
Would not have been better to place filmic between LUT and color balance ?
But you may have some reason to do so. Could you explain ?

I’ve edited the tutorial article to hopefully improve the English. Thanks for writing it.

Unintuitive, right ?

The ACES recommended workflow is to grade colors in a linear space RGB. After filmic, the pipe is not linear at all. A linear RGB space triggers interesting maths properties that make things easier to setup and less likely to mess-up colors/saturation.

So the grading should happen just after the LUT.

Also, the color grading is usually a local adjustment you use with masks and moderate effect/setting. So even if it will change the input of filmic, it won’t be a dramatic change, and having it after filmic will produce very different results from one picture to another, because filmic settings are very different from one picture to another (it depends on its particular exposure and dynamic range), whereas the grades can be presets fairly reproductible between different images, as long as they are linear.

2 Likes

@anon41087856 I wonder if it is in your plan to switch the S curve section sliders for a live curve tweak capability, as we do in tone curves.