iPad compatible?

Can any tell me if DT has been written to be used on the new iPad Pro devices from Apple?
Thanks.

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Darktable is not written to be used on an iPad, it is a desktop only application with releases for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.

Thank you for confirming that. Much appreciated.

@GrisoGringo If you want, you can help porting it over to the ipad :slight_smile:

So unless the prerequisites (biggest one is gtk3 for iOS) can be matched on iOS thereā€™s no hope for a port ā€¦

I did not say it would be an easy task. I just said that they can help.

I doubt that you will have much fun with a computationally intensive program like darktable on an iPadā€¦

you are aware that ipads have the same CPU in them as a Macbook (Air)?

in the mean time you have solutions like Davinci Resolve and complete animation software ( Procreate dreams) for ipad. 3d modelling software is also coming to it.

And I mean there are lightroom and friends available as well.

You might be surprised.

Geekbench tests for the iPad Pro offer an initial assessment of the M4 chip.
[ā€¦]
Iā€™m particularly impressed by the single-core score over 3,700. Itā€™s far higher than that of the current Intel flagship Core i9-14900K.
https://www.digitec.ch/en/page/apples-m4-is-surprisingly-speedy-33142

Based on that, I searched for the CPUs:

(from iPad Pro 11-inch (M4) Benchmarks - Geekbench)

(from ASUS System Product Name - Geekbench)

My own Ryzen 5 5600X:

Indeed, the latest iPads are silly powerful. Hereā€™s the Ars Technica review of the M4 iPad Pro:

TBH it is a real joke that there isnt even something like vscode locally for an ipad.

And I dont think Apple will ever make the ipad more useful because they want you to buy both.

if you design a software for the ipad then there arenā€™t that big limits; Apple just doesnā€™t see ios as an arbitrary linux platform. Companies like Adobe, Blackmagic or Microsoft can afford to have several platform specific UX versions of their tools ā€¦

For darktable you need at least 230 dependency libraries being ported to ios before thinking about porting darktable ā€¦
changing the UX by replacing all those key+mouse commands by touch commands then will be the major challenge ā€¦

ipados,ios and osx share parts of the code base, noticable that many security bugs always apply to all 3.

also see things like:

Youā€™re probably better off writing a GUI for the iPad on top of vkdt.

support for OpenCL or even vulkan can indeed be a fun question. Because iirc you need even need a translation layer for Vulkan

Few days ago noticed a few Qualcomm laptops from Dell. Curious if Intel and AMD will catch up. From what I was checking on youtube the Qualcomm are promising but windows is just stepping firmer to support them.

Iā€™ve been rocking a Microsoft Surface tablet for several years now. It is a real laptop, in a tablet form factor. Iā€™ve had an iPad before. But thereā€™s always that one task where having a ā€œrealā€ operating system comes in handy, compared to the iPadā€™s limited nature as ā€œa big phoneā€.

Thus, I am very much looking forward to the new, Qualcomm-based Surface tablet. Because as much as I like mine, a fast tablet it is not. Running darktable on it is painfully slow, and drains the battery very quickly. The new processor is likely to change that.

(OpenCL support and Windows-on-ARM compatibility are big open questions of course.)

2 Likes

FYI, dt already builds and runs on WoA through MSYS2 CLANGARM64 (canā€™t comment on OpenCL nor performance though). Unfortunately thereā€™s no standalone installer yet - no developer w/ this HW, and no public/free GitHub runners.

1 Like

as it happens i just replaced the gui toolkit in vkdt (not pushed yet). that was not a terrible lot of work (some). so i suppose some rewiring for touch interfaces would not be completely unrealistic.

people were running it on moltenvk just fine in the past though there is a somewhat stale github pr for macintosh silicon where apparently there were still problems (i canā€™t test).

What did you replace it with?