iPAD pro ios build

I had been a long time user of RT on Linux. Interested to use it on my soon new ipad pro 10.5 for processing photos while traveling. Is there a build for ipad pro? If not, are there instructions to build it in ios (I do not know ios at all, except using it on ipad and iphones).

There aren’t any native builds that I’m aware of for iOS. This is likely due to a couple of reasons:

• The Apple store is not exactly hospitable for Free Software projects, and has caused some projects in the past problems that were GPL licensed, iirc.
  • Native developers for the platform.
    Due to the nature of the projects here, most folks are likely not fans of Apple’s closed/proprietary ecosystem. As such, we aren’t exactly overflowing with developers for the platform. We should probably count our lucky stars that there’s even devs willing to do macos ports at all. :slight_smile: (The main difference here is that macos doesn’t completely restrict you from running any code you want on your hardware, while iOS does - re: app store).
2 Likes

You most certainly are not going to run a GTK GUI based app on the iPad.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

I think the only option would be a remote desktop app. Not sure if the image quality would be suitable for photo processing though…

I am not in the Apple ecosystem – can’t afford it :slight_smile: but I recall there being apps that enable the iPad to be a second screen with touch capabilities. It might even be built-in in the iPad Pro with the iOS update.

Apple made a choice early on to limit options to optimize its OSs, allowing them to run smoothly even in lower spec hardware configurations. At least, that was the original intent. This approach hasn’t stopped the software bloat creep. Take the guerilla that is iTunes for instance. :sweat_smile:

Mind you, the tools are there, many of which are familiar or similar to that which the FOSS community uses. However, to get there, you have to do things the Apple way. For most of us, this walled-garden is an obstacle. Fortunately, as the years go by, Apple is s-l-o-w-l-y opening up more APIs to developers.