iphone 14 heic and raw files with darktable

Hi everyone. It’s been a while and I haven’t been contributing much but life and stuff, well let’s just say I haven’t had time for myself lately. Darktable still going strong though! And I’m still at 4.2, I guess we’re close to another release?.. hopefully not much will change, I still need to learn stuff from 4.2.

Anyway I’m here with another request for help: I’ve been recently given an iphone 14 pro (which I wasn’t too keen as I was perfectly happy with my own Google Pixel 6a – but it was kind of forced on me). Last iPhone I used was the iPhone 4! So, a big jump. The system (and the ecosystem) I hate it, but the cameras are really a bit more awesome than the Pixel, so my dislike for everything Apple is partially mitigated by that.

I’ll come to the point: what’s the status with these heic and raw files from the new iPhone? My dartkable instllation (straight, official 4.2 release locally compiled and running on Ubuntu) does not recognize these files (they are true heic not jpeg with a different extension). Is there anything I should know? A fork or a library that I need to have to have support for these files?

thanks in advance!

HEICs should work, if your dt was built w/ libheif support (min required is 1.13), which, it turn, had to be built w/ libde265 support. This means at least Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic for system packages.

Apple ProRaws still don’t work OOTB.

thanks! I will check it out and try recompile dt.

I dont’ really “talk” github issues language, but I understand it’s work in progress…perhaps… does anybody know however a way to convert these raws into a usable format? something like the cr3-to-dng open source converter that I have used before the official support of cr3 became available in darktable?