Is the checkerboard pattern the best way to show masks in color balance rgb module?

I see. Thing is, with the default settings, each of the masks will mark the whole image. So you will see the background over a large part, if not most, of the image. Whatever background you pick, that will always be the case.

Now, what you can do is pick a colour or colour combination that contrasts with the image, but that will vary between images, and certainly between users, and perhaps even between masks for one image :confused: .

1 Like

I appreciate your unwarranted sincerity!

Please donā€™t take it the wrong way, Iā€™m genuinely curious.

No, no. Iā€™m being genuine in that I appreciate you trying to help people. My original comments were just some bon mots on my human condition and really not worth your effort. I donā€™t really get the mask but I havenā€™t tried very hard to figure it out and thereā€™s so much in life that I donā€™t get and thatā€™s just fine.

2 Likes

Ah, case closed then! Just the typical internet misunderstandings :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

But you can already do that automatically, no?

3 Likes

Yes, but this allows you to visualise it a bit better.

1 Like

Fully agree. I have not been able to grasp that (but admit that I havenā€™t read the manual or dug around on the internet).

You keep making this point and itā€™s a good oneā€¦ the grey fulcrum from the manual is described as the point where all the masks have an opacity of 50%. ā€¦ itā€™s defining the crossover between shadows and highlights. If you make the rolloff extreme itā€™s a sharp transition from that cross over. If you take the grey fulcrum all the way left with your desired mask selected you will go basically to a full checkerboard and then moving it slowly to the right you can visualize the mask appearingā€¦ so you can in a sense introduce the masked area more visuallyā€¦ I donā€™t often change those masking sliders. I do always use the fulcrum sliders as they define how master contrast and 4 way power (which is not masked) will behaveā€¦

Thatā€™s the way I do it and I find it easy to get a nice starting point and it often provides a better adjustment than I would have applied. I suspect you could also unhide the output sliders and set a arametric midtone mask and then adjust exposure until the mask cover what you want. Itā€™s a nice little benefit that if you sample you can see your input and output values after the exposure is added. You just have to be sure to turn it off when your done because you donā€™t want to actually apply the exposures masked that way :grin: