Is there a way to view full size images in File Browser, maybe with a histogram?

I know there’s a rating system in File Browser and there’s the Inspect tab but determining if the image is a keeper with just the thumbnail is difficult. The only way I see is to take each one into the Editor but that’s not very efficient.

may be this could help, it will show exif data, but iirc no histogram:

Hmmm, that might work. Thanks.

You can in ART’s version

Your initial post exactly corresponds to the thoughts I had when I decided, in conjunction with my recent change of camera, to give the RT internal browser and rating system a chance (instead of using a lame DIY system of manually created best/ directories, sometimes containing another best/ directory and so on :upside_down_face:).

Now I extract the embedded JPGs and look at those via a basic image viewer on one screen, while having RT on another screen to apply my ratings and to trash what deserves to be trashed.

Stupid Bash script leveraging exiftool to get the JPGs from CR3s:

Code – Expand to reveal
# For logs and to stop if something goes wrong.
set -ex

exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw -w '.jpg' ./*.CR3
exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.CR3 -orientation ./*.jpg
mkdir -pv jpg/
mv -ut jpg/ ./*.jpg
# Get rid of backup files that pop up at some point.
rm ./*original*

Of course it’s more a workaround than a real solution… My main complaints is that it doesn’t show clipped highlights, and that the resulting JPGs don’t seem to contain the values for aperture, speed, ISO and focal length, which I have to seek in RT directly (that latter point may be fixable with extra exiftool commands, though, but I haven’t bothered to try yet).

It seems there are lots of topics about this “culling” process and how painful it can be (regardless of the derawtizer involved, it seems):
Initial culling of raw images, Culling photos fast, etc.

You might like Art at least for culling…you can toggle between the raw and jpg preview…full size with the histogram for both and a few other neat little tools…

Maybe this could be requested for RT…its a good previewer…

1 Like

For culling, I use both FastStone viewer and XnView MP.

Both have an excellent comparison tool, up to four simultaneously, and additionally XnView MP has the best Search Engine on the planet.

XnView MP is also very good at adding IPTC and/or XMP metadata.

For culling/comparison, I heartily recommend either one.

2 Likes

I agree… I used to use the former and then at some point I noticed that on some images the results looked crunchy in FS viewer when they were not and so I moved to XnView… I like it as I can specify the icc file is uses and so I know that the OS, DT and it are all on the same icc and as you say it is flexible and has many options…

XnView might do the trick. I’ll try it out.

Thanks!

Yes, Art looks nice. I’ll have to play around with it a bit.

Many thanks!

This won’t give you additional features, but the detached inspector can make your current workflow easier. You can enable it in the General tab in preferences by checking “Open inspector in own window or fullscreen”. If you hover over a thumbnail and press and hold the f key, the fullscreen inspector opens. Click to keep it open.

There’s no documentation for it in RawPedia yet, but I made some notes on how to use it here: Document Inspect · Issue #6115 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

1 Like

This is nice although I still need to go back to rate or delete. No histogram either. I’m liking the inspect mode in Art.

1 Like

I wonder how hard it would be to incorporate the Art version of inspector… it would only be one more option to add to it to include the 1:1 thumbnail hover of RT if you could… it does add a lot of functionality…

Another vote for XnView MP. For example if I’m wanting to go through several images looking for best focus / sharpness in a particular area (e.g., maybe the wind was blowing grass around), I’ll zoom into that area, turn on Zoom Lock then left-right arrow through the images and it’ll stay zoomed on that area.

If you’ve rated several images you can filter on the ratings and cycle through those images only in the main viewer. It can make culling much faster.

Also, if configured properly XnView MP and ART can share xmp star ratings.