Is there FOSS video editing software?

Pixls.us already touches the video world with accommodating natron. So at least some video related people are active here.

If there is another more video centric place with similar spirit I would of course love to hear from it.

And where is the pixls.us for audio/music production? I checked sampls.us but did not succeed :wink:.

1 Like

I think a lot of the other communities are tool-centric. @frd is heavily involved with kdenlive, maybe he can say.

I think the same is true for audio, very tool-centric. @hellocatfood does some production though. Maybe he can comment.

1 Like

Hm, probably the same was true regarding photography before Pat came to unite and others stepped in, e.g. you … I really think this (pixls.us) is a huge success story and would wish for more such success stories :wink:.

5 Likes

Shotcut has its own forum: https://forum.shotcut.org/

I would like to also have a video focused floss forum, maybe here is the place to do it. Also you have this subreddit (not very active):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Linux_Filmmaking/

Kdenlive has a forum, but it isn’t very user friendly, so you might want to use the telegram group: Telegram: Contact @kdenlive

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks! Sometimes I’m a little leery of information I get directly on a product forum, but this one looks ok from what I can tell. It even uses the same forum software as pixls.us. :grinning:

I think the same is true for audio, very tool-centric. @hellocatfood does some production though. Maybe he can comment.
[/quote]

For music there’s lots of general music production websites such as lines: https://llllllll.co/ and KVR Audio https://www.kvraudio.com/ They’re welcoming to discussion around open source software so just start a discussion. There’s also Linux musicians https://linuxmusicians.com/ it’s dedicated to open source but gets less traffic so you might not get an answer to your questions quickly.

2 Likes

That’s a good question: should we reach out more to various video/film projects and see if they’d like to join? I feel like they have enough in common with what many do here (cinematographers, film makers, other creatives and techno-nerds).

I know I’ve learned a literal ton of new things since so many smart folks have taken the time to share with everyone here…

7 Likes

I think we should reach out to KDE people as well, they create Kdenlive and digiKam after all.

1 Like

I can point the Kdenlive community to here if this becomes a video forum as well… better than r/kdenlive :wink:

1 Like

Olive is a professional open-source video editor. :slight_smile:

https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/

How would you organize it? A video category with all the programs listed: Cinelerras, Kdenlive, Olive, Openshot, Pitivi, Shotcut, etc…

That’s a good question. We’ve already got a Software category that technically they could all fit in, but it might make sense to have a /video/ category possibly? I’m open to suggestions!

I think software is the best place for it… So as not to muck up our forum structure. We also want to create communities that will be populated and used, so if there are existing communities that already have a platform, maybe this isn’t the best idea. We don’t want to further divide.

1 Like

Now thinking about it better, maybe a video production category rather than adding programs to the software one? Maybe we get to discuss floss video making and not just app support? At least to me, this is a place I would like to have. Either way both solutions seem nice.

Edit: Do you think there will be interest?

+1 for not dividing

1 Like

Hard for me to gauge, since I am not active in the video editing communities.

I’m open to whatever arrangement of categories make sense, so long as they’re used. We also need moderators for those categories as well.

A video editing category would probably be more active than the digital painting one. :cricket: Video editing is fun but I don’t have a use case for it. I wouldn’t mind participating in (or even moderating) the category.

Back when I started Libre Graphics World some 11 years ago (holy crap, doesn’t time just fly), I was seriously expecting similar projects to appear for video and audio domains any time then. About 9 months into that adventure, I just started covering those myself and never really stopped since then. Some similar projects appeared eventually but none of them is currently active.

So my advice is to just do it. Probably a half of active NLE projects already have forums or at least a mailing list, at least two of them use Reddit for a forum. And then Olive has both a Discord channel for public interaction and a semi-closed Slack channel for core ppl. So some will turn your offer down and then some will probably be happy to move over to pixls. Try it and see what happens.

I think I am one of the oldest readers of LGW. :slight_smile:

The idea, I imagine, would be to not replace current community forums but use this one to connect video makers using floss tools, so this could include hopefully include animation, mograph and compositing stuff as well in the future. But yeah, we must see if there is actual interest and not just wishful thinking from my side at least.

Don’t have much time these days but I can surely join the moderation if needed.

Long time reader too.

My thought is that if we have a compelling discussion going, the search engines will pick it up and draw in people naturally. Lots of young people are extremely interested in this topic. Almost everyone I know has touched some sort of audio-video software and they aren’t creatives or enthusiasts.

Hm, I am approaching this topic a bit from a different perspective: While it seems that most photographers here care most about the single picture, what I do is “FLOSS media production”. Photographs are for photo books, calendars, papers, … and therefore, tools such as inkscape and scribus are heavily involved. And for video it’s similar, ardour for the audio preproduction, inkscape for titles, natron for some effects, … For me it is really hard to draw the border.

2 Likes