Is there way to reproduce Pattern Brush from Corel Painter in GIMP?

Hello!)
Is there way to reproduce Pattern Brush from Corel Painter in GIMP?

I’m not in front of my computer now, but gimp 2.9.x includes the MyPaint brush engine, I’d check there.

Hi @deepforest. The possibility exists in GIMP… they are the .gih brushes. To kind of your examples is sufficient to use the .gih brush with one dimension only. In the GIMP documentation you can find some examples to render brushes with more that one dimension. A basic tutorial is in the gimp.org > Custom Brushes Tutorial.

2 Likes

Thanks all for replys :slight_smile:
@paperdigits Is Mypaint have similar pattern brush?
@Americo .gih(image hose) its look similar but little bit not that
look video, i want make this abstract effect (i seen its in Massive Black - Andrew Jones - Monster Boss tutor)

I try image hose, yes its very similar to my question) Thank You!

@Americo You my favorite modern artist in world of FreeSoftware) I follow you in Google+ and Twitter but you close comments, why?)

ps For me GIMP better than MyPaint and Krita because i can experiment, and it have great flexibility and customisation. I feel free with GIMP)

and yet there is a way to stretch the brush so as in my video?

some experiment with imagehose brush

and little bit madness :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks @deepforest! Then, my twitter posts have close comments, correct? Perhaps, I have intended, in my preferences, to comment must be in my circle… can you send me a solicitation to add you?

I intend that MyPaint, Krita and GIMP as tools that could be used in many different tasks on Digital Painting, to many scopes and tasks. For instance, MyPaint is an excellent app to paint final works, but many people see it only with a sketch app. So, all these issues are related in great part how each artist see the own way to paint things… and not exclusively because this or other is better.
GIMP, effectively, and this is only my opinion, is more flexible to use in digital painting, for the kind of artists, accustomed to create the own processes and methods to paint and to mimic the own style… in this sense, I am talking mainly about the assets (brushes, paint dynamics, tool presets, gradients, palettes and patterns).

1 Like

So, I am not sure what you intend exactly as ‘to stretch the brush’.
Watching the video, I see that this brush produces a series of stamps in the same position.
I think that is possible to introduce this effect, also on GIMP, but we need build a preset + paint dynamics, more specifically to have this effect.
See this video, is about an wet effect attempt with GIMP, in this paint dynamic + preset, it has some possibility to delay the stamp… producing something that perhaps you is trying to describe here.

1 Like

I think twitter now ok. In Google+ comments closed.

Understand. Thank You again. Krita and MyPaint good, but my love is a GIMP i like to experiment)

The preferences on my g+ account now are permitting all comments… I will test this.
I see you between my followers… now I am following you too, so now I think that is sufficient.

1 Like

Hard to explain. I mean, can i using Dynamics or something else, twist or stretch brush stamp when drawing, for getting abstract forms?

Very interesting. And how build this preset with stamp delay?

Great) Thanks a lot.

I have watched a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfcH7hlaln8, and I have remembered one application where is possible to have this effect or almost, it is Alchemy.
In Alchemy, I remember, that we have an modality to paint with a library of vectors. You must read a bit the documentation. Searching the info about ‘Alchemy vector’ is possible see numerous vector libraries to this app.

To delay the brush, normally you can use ‘Smooth stroke’ option on Tool Options.
Another thing important, perhaps is enable the Spacing parameter on Paint Dynamics Editor Dialog. How modeling the spacing curve is the question, is not easy control currently this parameter on GIMP.
Next week, I will see, how and if is possible propose something similar of the Andrew Jones concept.

1 Like

Hello)
Yes Alchemy is very cool app. But is abandoned( do not develops now(
This is fork - Webchemy(http://bitbof.com/)

Thanks) I am try and reply about result.

And about my topic question i found little solution - Distorts Filters) it great
http://imgur.com/a/kil7h
Haha) little madness)
https://imgur.com/a/AJ1D6

1 Like