Is this a new Holga... ;-) ? Amkov R5 - "Cost Effective Mirrorless Camera"

Came across an ad for this - and had to look at it!

It has a tiny 1/2.86 inch sensor and a “Crystal Lens” :joy:
Seems like “mirrorless” also applies to what I call a compact now.

Don’t get me wrong, for the price it could be a fun camera, done right, but I have some doubts.
Would you back it on Kickstarter?

Edit… oh my… just saw this:
2G6P Crystal is a good thing right? :woozy_face: My opinion - not that anyone asked for it - is swinging round to ‘scam’

As it turns out, it is. The Sony CMOS image sensor inside the Amkov R5 is the Sony IMX386 which can be purchased for under $10 and is tiny. The sensor is 4.96mm x 3.72mm, which is 0.24 inches diagonally. For reference, a full-frame image sensor is 36mm x 24mm. Most damningly, the Sony IMX386 captures 12.2-megapixel images. This means that to achieve the promised “48MP Resolution,” the camera must perform some software tricks.

The images showed are probably fake too.

1 Like

Support External Tripod :white_check_mark:

I’m in!! :rofl:

Seriously … if they build something like that with a small fixed focal length – anything between 24 and 50mm equivalent will do – I am all over this thing. Image quality does not really matter, as long as it has a near instant shutter release and can save RAW files.

I still miss a modern version of my Lomo LC-A cameras …

1 Like

Thanks for the link!

Yes, something like that was my thought actually - but the further I read the lower my spirits became… :open_mouth:

What? That expensive and it doesn’t even have an internal tripod? One star, can not recommend.

4 Likes

Most mobile phones, especially those with multiple cameras, fit those specs these days.

200-250 EUR gets you an old micro 4/3 body with a used prime or kit zoom, plus probably enough left over to get a new battery. The combo will be incomparably more capable, and fairly compact.

3 Likes

Phones have no useful physical interface.
Even my Motorola Defy that has enough configurable buttons to take pictures while wearing gloves is a UX nightmare compared to even the most basic camera.

And yes, I have various compact and highly capable µ43 cameras but that is not the same as a truly simple but well designed snapper. A camera that is so cheap and you care so little about that you use it anywhere.

1 Like

You can get a ton of other compacts (used) below 200 EUR, in all kinds of physical form factors, made by well-established camera companies. Or even some kind of DSLR. The possibilities are nearly endless.

For $149, or even $249, the part I am most skeptical about the lens. Sensors are relatively cheap these days, and maybe they can mass-manufacture plastic bodies and write a basic firmware. All of these things are possible, but making a reasonable zoom lens that plays well with AF requires quite a bit of investment, and is going to be costly to manufacture afterwards if you care about quality control. Putting a 48MP sensor in the body tells you how serious they are about the whole thing.

That said, if you check eg on Amazon, you will already find compacts from brands most of us will not be able to recognize (or pronounce) around $50–$150. Eg this one is below $50, with a 1/4" sensor, and of course 44MP to make full use of the capabilities of the lens :wink: So, there is a market for these things.

I think you are approaching this from the wrong end though. If you are concerned about the camera being damaged, you could get a “tough” (weatherproof, waterproof, dustproof, etc) compact camera with reasonable image quality specs. Olympus and other companies make some rather nice ones. They are about 2-3x the price this one is going for.

1 Like

I have tried and worn through more compacts than I care to list them all.
It’s the only area where my GAS shows…

My current EDC is either a Panasonic GF1 or GF7 with a 20mm/1.7 or the Olympus BodyCapLens 15mm/f8. The BCL with an f4 aperture would be an instant winner … And then I could live the coming years from second hand µ43 bodies which are cheap and abundant.

2 Likes

Awww, heck! I would buy one, but I just spent all my money on a 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 mAh camera battery that fits in a matchbox — it says it charges in just eight seconds and I can expect to shoot continously for eleven years before recharging. :wink:

2 Likes

A great combination… the 20mm is really, really small. I am almost tempted to get this GF5 and have a tiny yet powerful camera coupled with that lens. But I will exercise restraint and continue to EDC my GX9 :wink:

1 Like

Oooh, nice colour! :wink:

3 Likes

Mandatory equipment color for wedding photographers or Barbenheimers.

I was seriously considering getting a pink Pentax for photographing weddings.
But then I decided against that. Photographing enough weddings to justify the cost, that is.

I had a GF5 which died in transit, awesome camera.
And that pink version … tempting, indeed.

:sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I was thinking I would get it for my daughter… but she is not old enough yet to do photography.

Anyhow, the point is that with a silver Panasonic 12–32mm or Olympus 17mm it would make an excellent and styllish sub-200 EUR camera. Just meant it as an example of what similarly priced cameras are competing with.

1 Like

Do you remember the crazy color combinations you could choose on the Pentax Q? Now that was a brilliant little camera… I still miss mine sometimes.

3 Likes

They did the K-x DSLR in crazy colours too… :heart_eyes: :rainbow:

1 Like