JAMA Restaurant hightlights, neon and colors mess.

Hello community.

I was trying to process this image in darktable but it’s a difficult one for me. I like to see yours solutions about the highlight recover, neon lights and colors.
This is was I got after some effort, not enough for my taste.

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

_DSF3321.RAF (48.3 MB)

Greetings from Habana, and TIA.

4 Likes

jama.restaurant.pp3 (16.4 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

Bit hard to determine, not having been there, what the colours actually looked like. I see many different light (=colour) sources, so I hope it reflects the real situation.

Not a darktable submission, hope you don’t mind. This is a nice image to play with no matter the editor used…

5 Likes

WOW, It’s so close to the reality. The reds in the place are vivid and shining, I don’t know yet how to get those colors in dt. I don’t use RT but know it’s a great tool in right hands.
Nice result. Thanks.

Yeah, I was curious about those reds in this place. In the, what we in the Netherlands call, Chinese/Indonesian restaurants I often see this red and it is rather vivid/shining. I went with the assumption that this would be somewhat similar, those being dragons and all that :grin:

1 Like

Nice play, and a little tricky. Here is my version, also in RT 5.8 dev:

_DSF3321.RAF.jpg.out.pp3 (14,8 KB)

2 Likes

It’s tricky indeed, the place receive light from different sources. At the front receive daylight through glass doors of 4 x 5 m and inside they’re lamps with yellow light, beside that a neon, vivid reds, and the kitchen with white lights :grin:

Sorry - not Darktable. My quick play in GIMP.

3 Likes

ART

1 Like

Here my try in darktable.

_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (10.7 KB)

Edit: or maybe a little warmer

_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (10.7 KB)

4 Likes

This is the best I could do. Would be interesting to try multiple instances of color calibration to fix the kitchen colours, since I supposed they should to be a cooler tone. In my try they are a little green, makes me remember a frame taken out of Chungking Express or Fallen Angels, they use a similar colour scheme in some scenes.
_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (13.6 KB)

3 Likes

Nice one, I’m going to check the .xmp to take notes from your try. Thanks.

1 Like

_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (14.7 KB)

2 Likes

_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

My version…

_DSF3321_01.RAF.xmp (20.8 KB)

Darktable 3.9.0~git24.477bc5c41a-1

2 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.8.1

_DSF3321_01.RAF.xmp (12.0 KB)

1 Like

_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (42.4 KB)

_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (45.8 KB)

2 Likes

2nd attempt with some Chinese Red added with CC and color match LCH. The mask is crappy…

_DSF3321.RAF.xmp (16.1 KB)

2 Likes

_DSF3321_01.raf.xmp (8.3 KB)
Darktable 3.8.0

1 Like

@ggbutcher Interesting lights here: where are you? :stuck_out_tongue:

About to go to bed… :laughing:

Saw this one when posted, got sidetracked. Anyway, don’t have spectral data for this camera, so using the libraw-supplied color primaries. I did dig into the metadata for white balance numbers, found three tags, one which I couldn’t completely decipher. Here’s a rendition with what libraw reported as “as-shot”:

and, just pretty standard filmic curve.

The other whitebalance tag, “auto”, had a definite lean to the daylight temp:

A lot less warm. Me, I like the warmth of the first.

1 Like