Jpeg image question

Just curious. When I take a jpeg picture on my camera, that image is gamma corrected. When I post process a raw file on Rawtherapee and save it as jpeg, does it get corrected? or just converted because I’m basically correcting it myself? Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Welcome @chrism1
When you take a jpeg photo on your camera, the colors are encoded in the sRGB color space or sometimes in AdobeRGB colorspace.
The definition of those colorspaces include a tone reproduction curve (TRC is the curve defining the gamma correction) which is applied to code the colors. Some other spaces have no TRC and are named linear spaces.
It’s the same when you process a raw. The output has to be encoded in some color space (named output profile).
You will use sRGB as output profile. So the jpeg will be encoded in the sRGB color space with the TRC applied.
The TRC is not strictly a correction but a way to encode the colors.
So the choice of output profile is sufficient.
Don’t use other output profile than sRGB unless you know what you are doing.
Have look at http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com to get more details about raw processing with RawTherapee.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick answer. This seems to be a good time to understand how things work.