Just a typical Dutch scene .......

Spend the weekend fixing my bicycle and took it for a test spin this late afternoon. Not the best of conditions to take photos, sun still shining rather harshly and the scene isn’t all that special, but I wouldn’t want to rob you of this “typical” Dutch scene I came across :wink:

Sidecar: typical.dutch.scene.xmp (14.8 KB) darktable 3.0.1
RAW: typical.dutch.scene.rw2 (18.8 MB)
License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

7 Likes

Thank you for the play.

Just an edit. Rawtherapee neutral, GIMP, G’MIC
I used a lot of filters made by garagecoder and curves:

typical.dutch.scene.jpg.out.pp3 (13.6 KB)

6 Likes

typical.dutch.scene.rw2.xmp (10.1 KB) typical.dutch.scene_01.rw2.xmp (10.1 KB)

5 Likes

typical.dutch.scene.rw2.pp3 (12.0 KB)

Nice summer shot, thanks for sharing
DT 3.0.2

typical.dutch.scene_02.rw2.xmp (10.6 KB)

3 Likes

Here’s mine:

3 Likes

That looks interesting. In a good way!

If you don’t mind me asking: How was this done?

I thought I recognized one of the pencil, canvas or paper styles from G’MIC but I’m not at all sure if that is correct. Then again, it might be a nice ImageMagick script…

Hi Jade. You are (almost) spot-on. I first took the raw file through LuminanceHDR to create a very contrasty version with loads of darkish sky and then ran the result through GMIC’s sketch filter. I exaggerated the contrast and saturation a bit to allow the strokes to come out more prominently.

Where is this mill? Looks like an interesting place and different way of building than here in the north-western part of the country where I live (Boven het Noordzee kanaal).

This is De Schaapweimolen. Not entirely sure if this is still municipality Rijswijk or already Wateringen.

1 Like

Here’s the one I grew up next to:
Piet’s Mill in Alkmaar by Mike Bing, on Flickr

1 Like

I love these old windmills. Interesting to see how blue everyone made the sky. Here’s my take.

typical.dutch.scene.rw2.xmp (48.2 KB)
Note to devs, the crop tool was very buggy. After adjusting bottom border and clicking on modules top bar to reduce the properties box, the changes would often not apply. (ie. clicking power button on and off gave no difference). I’m on mac 10.12.6, using darktable 3.0.2 master.