Kdenlive 24.02.0 released

Additionally, users on Windows, MacOS, and Linux will experience a substantial performance boost since Kdenlive now runs natively on DirectX, Metal, and Vulkan respectively, replacing the previous abstraction layer reliance on OpenGL and Angle, resulting in a more efficient and responsive application.

This is great news. Overall slowness (and some crashes) on a powerful PC was the only thing that made me not use Kdenlive after some tries. Will test this soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s too bad that just when kdenlive started to become stable/useful, I wound up getting a camera that could shoot 10-bit video.

MLT (which kdenlive is dependent on) is stil limited to 8 bit video. I wound up giving up and going to DaVinci Resolve. Sadly video editing is one place where FOSS solutions are severely lacking. :frowning:

1 Like

Interesting, I thought it supported 10 bit, and it seems like it does but only without any effects. I assume it’s MLT that handles all the effects?

It uses ( or at least used to use) MLT for basically everything.

It could ingest 10-bit video, but would truncate down to 8 bits under basically any circumstance.

One of these days I want to try and make a hardware accelerated version of ffmpeg’s HALD CLUT implementation, because Resolve doesn’t support HALD CLUTs and that’s one thing I find FOSS to be superior for - as well regarded as Resolve is for color grading, I find it VASTLY superior to take a single frame export, load it into RawTherapee, grade it appropriately, and then apply that processing profile to a HALD identity CLUT. But maybe that’s because I’m so used to RT.

2 Likes

This seems like a pretty good idea to be fair, I had no idea it could be done that way.

It’s really difficult with S-Log footage without some ICC profile hackery - hence GitHub - Entropy512/elles_icc_profiles at log_profiles and GitHub - Entropy512/camResponseTools: Miscellaneous tools for reverse engineering camera response curves - the latter is a work in progress to reverse engineer the undocumented tone response curves of many cameras to allow their video to be linearized even if the TRC isn’t documented, making grading easier/more feasible even for stuff not intended for further grading.

1 Like