Keep crashing no matter what

Hi all. After some years, probably, I’ve just met the same problem I had on my previous computer: RT opens up and crashes as soon as I double click an image to start working it.
I’m on Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS 64bit
I did everything in the guide and I was about to try write a report. But. In the guide it said if you compiled RT yourself you can type the instructions. If not? RT is in Ubuntu Studio and it should be the latest version. Any help?

RT from the repo is likely outdated. You should use the version from the PPA and see if the error still occurs.

See info here:

Good luck!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Excuse me if I sound dumb, but from the link Claes added here, I haven’t yet understood if to install rawtherapee or rawtherapee-unstable. Anyways it’s very, very sad seeing that a great program like this still causes all these problems. I’ve compared it to other programs at the time and this is the best by far, but one must be a programmer or a scientist to install it and work with it hoping not to face problems. At this point, the last goal is working on the pictures since all the efforts needed only to make the program work correctly. It seems to be on windows, and that says it all.

No, you do not have to be a rocket scientist, the ability to copy/paste is sufficient.
Just follow what Pat wrote (from the link I gave above):

What guide?

I believe the current recommendation is to use the unstable version.

Ok guys, removed the version that comes in Ubuntu Studio, installed the one from ppa. Nothing has changed.
Here’s the report, I hope it’s complete:

leo@leo-Lenovo-V110-15ISK:/usr/bin$ gdb rawtherapee
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.11.1-0ubuntu1~16.04) 7.11.1
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type “show copying”
and “show warranty” for details.
This GDB was configured as “x86_64-linux-gnu”.
Type “show configuration” for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/.
For help, type “help”.
Type “apropos word” to search for commands related to “word”…
Reading symbols from rawtherapee…(no debugging symbols found)…done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/rawtherapee
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library “/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1”.
[New Thread 0x7fffec7fa700 (LWP 3499)]
[New Thread 0x7fffebff9700 (LWP 3500)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe8e72700 (LWP 3502)]
[New Thread 0x7fffdbfff700 (LWP 3503)]
[New Thread 0x7fffdb7fe700 (LWP 3504)]
[Thread 0x7fffdbfff700 (LWP 3503) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe8e72700 (LWP 3502) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffdb7fe700 (LWP 3504) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffdb7fe700 (LWP 3507)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe8e72700 (LWP 3508)]
[New Thread 0x7fffdbfff700 (LWP 3509)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd9028700 (LWP 3510)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd8827700 (LWP 3511)]
[New Thread 0x7fff7f8db700 (LWP 3512)]
/home/leo/Immagini/Foto/2016/03/14/DSCF0045.RAF: Unexpected end of file
/home/leo/Immagini/Foto/2016/03/14/DSCF0046.RAF: Unexpected end of file
[New Thread 0x7fff7f0da700 (LWP 3513)]
[New Thread 0x7fff7e8d9700 (LWP 3514)]
[New Thread 0x7fff7e0d8700 (LWP 3515)]

Thread 15 “pool” received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fff7e0d8700 (LWP 3515)]
0x0000555555c30480 in ?? ()
(gdb)

which one?

You should use the development version

sudo apt-get install rawtherapee-unstable

It’s more stable than the old 4.2 and also supports more camera models

I installed the unstable (…) and this time it seems to work. Knock on wood though.
One thing. The camera profile, is loaded automatically when a picture is opened in the program? I use a Fuji X-E2 and I already saw the Fuji x-trans profile in several options.

Which guide?

Which instructions?

Which version?

It’s sad that users only become involved for their own selfish needs, and all communications cease the moment their problems have been solved, without spending the extra few minutes helping prevent the problem for other users. Specifically, whenever someone experiences a crash on startup I inform them of two ways of handling the problem, that the easy way out is to delete the cache and options file but that “solution” is guaranteed to not get the problem fixed, and so it will happen again and again and again, so the proper thing to do is to find the faulty file and send a stack backtrace. And still they take the easy way out, and as result you ran into a crash on startup which perhaps may have been prevented if users didn’t just take but also gave. And no, a user does not have to be a rocket scientist to provide this info, they just need to copy and paste some clearly written and well explained lines from RawPedia.

You did the right thing by providing a stack backtrace, it will help us find and fix the problem, but your stack backtrace is missing the actual backtrace part:
How to write useful bug reports
How to fix crashes on startup

One thing of interest in the gdb paste you showed is /home/leo/Immagini/Foto/2016/03/14/DSCF0045.RAF: Unexpected end of file
Are you out of disk space?
Are those raw files corrupt?

2 Likes

Hi Morgan. Well I can be everything but selfish, trust me. In every way. Anyways. Files are not corrupted, they’ve been taken directly from the negative with the digital camera and downloaded on disk. My disk is not lacking of space since is quite brand new, a week or so, as well as the computer, and plenty of space. As I wrote above, now it seems to work. I only did what I wrote, following the links you’ve put here, the raw pedia. As I already said, Rawtherapee is the best program I know about pictures: I also made a direct comparison a long time ago between RT, Darktable and another one, I don’t remember which one. I think I’ve posted the images in the old forum. Sad? Well, every time I had to install it I met alot of problems and I had to ask for help, that’s something usually I don’t like. While with others program, Darktable just to name one, it worked as soon as I installed it. That’s why I said sad. I’ve studied programming many years ago, I think it was structured Cobol, but I don’t remember anything else. One thing I remember, which is valid noot only in programming but in everything: you have to keep in mind that the final user it’s a retarded or sort of. So you have to write the program in a way that the final user, the retarded or sort of, will know what to do, how to do it and when. That was a principle that the teacher always taught us and I have to say it was, and it is, always right.
About the backtrace. I don’t know if I did the right thing. at a certain point the debug has stopped and it wasn’t going anymore. So I copy-pasted what was in it and closed the terminal.

@lleo you did the right and helpful thing providing a stack backtrace, only the “bt full” part was missing, but as it works for you now after updating it seems that the problem was already fixed. I don’t know what problems you experienced in the past, and I don’t want to spend my evening searching through your history, but if you run into anything more, please do report. Have a good evening.

Morgan, if I remember well it was the same problem I met now. There was an EOF for a corrupted one. I was thinking about it last night. Since both the file were good at first, maybe it was the program that corrupted them the first time I’ve tried to open them up. Though the next time I’ll do a backtrace, I will try to wait more. But, when there is (gdb) at the prompt after some debug it’s been done, is there more backtrace coming?

What or when is the “it”?

What is “the program”?

RawTherapee does not modify raw files in any way, period. As such, if RawTherapee is “the program”, then no, it did not corrupt your files.

Yes. The two links in my previous reply explain the missing GDB commands, I see you haven’t clicked on either of them.

If you have read the whole thread, you should know I was talking of problems starting RawTherapee. So the IT is both what and when.

We’re in RawTherapee discussion, if I’m right. So it should be a program, a software, a way to work pictures. Always if I’m right.

I’m not a lawyer nor I’m here to accuse RawTherapee. I only wrote what happened. When I had the problem, the corrupted file, then and now, as soon as I fixed the crash of RawTherapee I opened the same files up and they didn’t show any problem. It might have been the computer? I don’t know. They were two different machines with two different RT versions, I should have been particularly unlucky.

[/quote][quote=“Morgan_Hardwood, post:14, topic:2742”]
Yes. The two links in my previous reply explain the missing GDB commands, I see you haven’t clicked on either of them.
[/quote]

Well I don’t know if you’re playing games, or you’re bothered or annoyed by something. I strictly followed those links to debug RT so don’t accuse me not to have clicked those links because I wouldn’t even been able to debug the program without doing it. Or better, without having clicked those links. So I’m more precise.

I’ll write it again. When the debug is finished, or better I thought it was finished, I copied-pasted what was in the window and closed it. Since it had stopped already, I thought the debug was over so I closed the (gdb) and the terminal window.
I hope what I wrote is clear.

Those numbers after the link show how many times it’s been clicked. They weren’t there before. What I wrote was not an accusation, it was a fact. I find no fun in creating links which don’t get clicked or writing replies which perhaps don’t get fully read. I could make similar statements about your other passive-aggressive points but what’s the point.

Let’s both agree to reset our tone to a friendlier one and take it from there.

See the “How to write useful bug reports” link, “Step by step” section, point 6. If you run into trouble again and want to provide a stack backtrace, that is the most important part.

1 Like

If I appeared aggressive in my first posts, well that wasn’t my intention. That’s the useful meaning for emoticons. Anyway. Maybe I didn’t go through your links, but I’ve got on those pages to do the debug, if not I wouldn’t been able to do it, as I wrote.
I really hope not to having too face problems again, but I have those pages saved in my favourites. If it happens, I’ll check that poin carefully. I have to see if I find the stuff I’ve posted at that time.

1 Like

I found the post I wrote in the old forum. This is a comparison between Shotwell, Raw Therapee and Darktable Only the way they open up an image just downloaded from a camera, not yet processed. I wasn’t interested on how a software process an image, but in the way it grabs it out of the camera. To me, starting from a good base, is half job to the end of processing.
Shotwell

RawTherapee

Darktable