Kingfisher: Softproof failure

If I understood the previous thread you mention, the pipeline “interior” does not work with LUT profiles, but the output stage does work. So you can’t see a soft proof, but the output will nevertheless be ready for the printing service. To verify this, and assuming you have Gimp, open the output file in Gimp and it should report what profile it finds, which should be your Fuji one. (?you might need to check gimp preferences to ensure it will report on the profile found?). I guess there are other pieces of s/ware which can also do this, maybe dt itself, anyone?

yes, this bird is really very colorful, but also very small, fast and shy…

Yes, I was very lucky. The bird stayed on the opposite bank for a long time before it flew into the branches of a bush about 2m away from me.

ART

You are right, that works. But that means I can’t check in dt if colors are out of gamut for the print?

I’m not quite used to dt 3.4, yet.

When I tried using the Tone Equalizer, it revealed some strange areas in the bokeh, saying they were at around level -15. Anything I did with the module made those areas look very splotchy. So, I removed it from the workflow.

PC251438.ORF.xmp (8.1 KB)

I haven’t tried the tone equalizer on this pic.
I use it sometimes when dealing with a huge dynamic range. But generally I find that module difficult to manage.

kingfisher.pp3 (16.5 KB) RawTherapee 5.8-2747-g43257b237

Nice shot, thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Messed up the sizing, fixed it.

5 Likes

Kingfisher feathers contain no blue pigment (they’re really brown!). The blue colour comes from the structure of the feathers which produces an iridescent effect.

I learned to use it from a Bruce Williams video. It is certainly not intuitive.

PC251438.ORF.xmp (10.9 KB)

You could submit a feature request if you have a login -

I haven’t done any printing for ages so haven’t hit this with dt yet.

PC251438.ORF.xmp (20.3 KB)

1 Like

Great bird!

PC251438.ORF.xmp (24.1 KB)

PC251438.ORF.xmp (14.1 KB) Picknick på vår bröllopsdag-0003.NEF.xmp (6.6 KB)

Softproofing for SaalDigital_SoftProof_Fuji.icc

For sRGB:

It seems to work… are you sure you don’t have both buttons on?

I turned on soft proofing and then additionally clipping.

I have not read all the thread but I think the gamut comes from the histogram profile and AP recommended AdobeRGB for printing and sRGB for the web so maybe try that …

Marco this is a good video albeit in Affinity to help perhaps with your situation…I think you will need some adjustments to print…Perceptual Rendering is the best for printing and to ensure you are getting that in DT you should turn on littlecms in the preferences. Next I think but on this I would have to look back but recently AP did suggest to use Adobe rgb for Gamut checking for printing…finally Robyn works through some changes to get saturation etc in check to align with gamut and allow you to print…again this is an example in Affinity Photo but it is a nice work though of the process and reflects your issue here…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb8_yxRK7gA

Keep in mind that you will first export this image as sRGB or Adobe RGB JPG most likely. Thus keep gamut for those at bay. Then in other program you may proceed.

Directly in dt you must match both, output profile and then later print profile which is quite hard to achieve.

As far as I remember I have Saal profiles for Fine Art in dt (HM papers) and they work fine. Did not try for Fuji. At least for Fine Art Saal recommends using Relative colorimetric in soft proofing. Check it for Fuji prints.

I would first fit this image for sRGB (or Adobe RGB) and then check in GIMP.

… and my personal experience in Saal is that I tried, failed and will not come back. But that was on Fine Art prints.