KONICA HEXANON AR 40mm f/1.8 | A Re-Review of My Favourite Lens EVER

This is my second review, a revisit of the KONICA HEXANON AR 40mm f/1.8, my favourite lens ever, vintage and otherwise.

I’ve tested (many) dozens of lenses and I still haven’t found one I like more than this.

Sure, there are faster lenses, sharper lenses, better built, prettier and rarer, but this one has basically all of the qualities I look for in a lens and practically none of the shortcomings.

It’s a fantastic vintage lens, probably the most popular in the entire Hexanon line-up, and certainly one of the most (if not the most) desirable vintage 40mm on the market.

1 Like

Nice one Radu.

Some excellent quotes, and of course, photos too!

Thank you for the share.

1 Like

very nice lens and pict, thanks for the video !

I use almost exclusively 2 vintage lens with an adapter on my A7 : a 50mm 1.7 and 28mm 2.8. I think my sweet spot is in between. This fast 40mm could do the trick I guess.

I may try to snatch a copy for a good price :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 2 of them and shoot 90% of the time with Hexanon, but never fell in love with the 40mm. Below f/4 I just find it too blurry. My favorite lens that I own is the Hexanon 57mm f/1.4. The 135mm f3.2 can take some magical shots, but too long for everyday use.

P.S. I use an APS-C Fuji XT-20.

1 Like

That lens has a cult-like following and I suspect for good reason. Personally, I find 57 a bit to long a focal length, I’m most comfortable around 40-50mm.

I did use to own the early (f16) 1.4/50 and I loved it.

1 Like

Its not the focal length that is at issue. Its the fact that I have to treat it like an f/4 lens. It is possible both my copies are bad.

I also have a copy of the 50 1.4, but it has a sticky aperture (purchased from online as untested as-is). Additionally I have the 52 f1.8 which is tack sharp, but I find it adds slightly cool cast to images. You would probable love it as that would not show up in B&W. As for the 57, its not so much the focal length as much as it is the lens that I love. It is fast, sharp, contrasty, and such vibrant colors.

My second most used lens is probably my Hexanon 28 f/3.5. I have two copies, only one of which I like so I do understand copy variation can be a factor. (The less preferred one renders fine detail too contrasty, kinda as if if you over-used the local contrast function of RT with a very small radius. Hard to describe in words, but I was always disappointed in its images. When I got the second copy bundled with another lens and was pleasantly surprised and started carrying it in my bag.)

I may try to snatch it before you. :wink:

Great video (again), @zerosapte!

1 Like

Nice video. I think you’ve hit on something difficult to define until you’ve experienced it. Some lenses kind of “grab you.” Not for their optical qualities (most are so similar that no one can tell much in a blind test comparison). Rather, lenses can grab you for the time and place and circumstances.

Reminds me of a book I read many years ago about wine. The author noted the very finest bottle of wine he ever had was unremarkable from looking at the label, but was fabulous in real life. The circumstance he found himself in was, like you, falling in love with a woman.

2 Likes