La Virgen del Panecillo

Hi all,
I tried to export the following raw file into a jpg, but I don’t get those bright nice looking colors like in the raw preview embedded into the raw image.
When I open it in darktable, the statue is quite white, maybe someone of you know how to get the same result in darktable.

The image is quite yellow, but the statue is quite blue, so it is not the white balance or?
_MG_1866.CR2 (18.3 MB)

Embedded Jpeg image:

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

1 Like

Quick edit.

_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (14.2 KB)

3 Likes

_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (11.9 KB)

Thanks for the play, @Murmele,

Here is what I presently can perform using vkdt:

_MG_1866.CR2.cfg (3.1 KB)

Perhaps I should have made it a trifle lighter, to let the buildings appear a bit more?
Just a matter of taste, of course.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

You need to share your xmp . If you just did an export and no edit well then for sure it will need more work
The xmp will tell us what you did…

Edit using modern WB and taking a global sample added a fair bit of blue out of the gate. Then simple edit … Blue can be tweaked in this example easily in CC module by the gamut slider and by the blue channel of the colorfulness and brightness slider… Its pretty easy to get a result that is uniformly blue and of varying intensity or blown out a little on the lower part of the statue on the legs like the jpg… There is a new module also rgb primaries in the dev branch that could be used but I didn’t use it here. It would be used to tweak the statue and the lights… Also I guess there is a bit of room for how light you want the city in the foreground… the jpg you offered was pretty dark…

A very very quick minimal edit would yield something like this…

Or brighten everything a little…

_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (11.0 KB)

_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (14.8 KB)
I guess the status was lit by some blue light and the street lights were yellow therefore the difference in colors.
My take on this.

• White balance based on statue
  • Add blue to the rest of the scene
  • blur the sky to get rid of the screen - did you shoot through a screen window?
  • crop out the distractions, and made it as if she is looking down from sky
  • adjust the curves in tone equalizer.
    DT 4.5.0+787~gaf0975cca0
1 Like

I’m not sure what you want to achieve: do you want to keep the statue blue (e.g. because it was lit by blue lights), or do you want to remove the blue?

Keeping it blue (the first with filmic, the second with sigmoid), and boosting the colours:

_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (21.1 KB)
_MG_1866_01.CR2.xmp (21.1 KB)

Turning the statue grey (color calibration, sampling the statue):

_MG_1866_02.CR2.xmp (21.5 KB)
_MG_1866_03.CR2.xmp (21.5 KB)

My sidecars may not be usable for you, as I use the latest development build, not a release(d) version.

1 Like

A quick play in GIMP. I read on the internet that it is lit by LEDs. As high-power LED are fluorescent devices there may well be a high UV content to the light.

If you just want an approximate match to the jpeg, all you need to do is drop exposure to -2.5EV, and set sigmoid like this:
(after turning off filmic rgb if you’re in the filmic workflow currently)
darktable 4.4.2
_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (7.0 KB)

I don’t know why the jpeg is so dark, compared to the RAW (edit: it’s not - just default options. See below), but easy to adjust. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was a night scene, so in order to avoid the camera bringing it to 18% grey average, the photographer dropped the exposure in camera substantially (by 3.7 EV, if memory serves me correctly) . Darktable tries to undo that by default, thinking it was done to protect the highlights.

2 Likes

I forgot about that! Probably as until recently I’ve been using the ‘none’ workflow option which - I think - doesn’t do that?
Now on the sigmoid option.
Thanks for explaining. :slight_smile:

You have received excellent replies already. The bottom image posted here is what my version of DT exported if I did nothing to the image. It is light and noisy. The top image is my basic editing workflow using Sigmoid instead of filmic. I have applied initially sharpening, denoising and set white balance to as shot in the camera. I have then unchecked the compensate camera exposure in the exposure module. I have used the skew slider in Sigmoid (optional step) to bring out more details in the dark foreground. I applied default local contrast module because I do that with most images. I possibly could do more tweaks, but I just wanted to show that a similar or I feel superior look to the OOC Jpeg could be obtained easily in DT.

_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (10.8 KB)

ART 1.20.2

_MG_1866.CR2.arp (11.1 KB)

Greetings. Roberto

Should it be blue, or better gray? :thinking: Ah, whatever…

_MG_1866.CR2.xmp (17.1 KB)