Large-format art/photo printing from Linux

Years ago I had an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 from which I could get OK prints (with some trial and error) on Linux. I’m now looking to get back into printing artwork for display in my home.

I’d like at least to be able to print 17"x22" (as I could on my old printer), and it would be nice if the printed result looked enough like the image on the screen to avoid the multiple trial-and-error print jobs of the past.

I have seen in another thread here that the Epson SureColor P800 with the proprietary TurboPrint driver software might fit the bill. I’m wondering if there has, in the interim, emerged an equally capable alternative that will allow me to keep closed-source software off my machine.

Also, if anyone is using the above combination and has experiences to share, I’d love to hear it.

Hi @icewater, and welcome!

No, I do not have exactly the same combination, but I have a 6-color Epson XP-960, and that works just fine under Linux (Manjaro/KDE), using Gutenprint. I played with TurboPrint for a while, but it did not offer any special benefits over Gutenprint.

According to Gutenprint Supported Printers, the P800 is still Experimental, though.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

@icewater Welcome!

Old mailing list: Gutenprint - Top Quality Printer Drivers / Re: [Gimp-print-devel] I need Epson SureColor SC-P800 linux driver (paid job or beta tester). Skimming through it, it seems like you could use other drivers in backwards compatibility mode but it would be annoying to set up because you would need a driver to address each feature.