Latitude and longitude

Hello.
I geolocate my photographs a lot. My camera does not have a gps chip.
Is it possible to create two input fields for latitude and longitude in ART so as to find them in the “xmp” file and thus have jpg containing the gps data?

The ideal would be to create a geolocation module like in darktable but simpler. A world map, the photos in the movie roll and drag and drop to place its image on the map. Without the images necessarily remaining on this map as in darkktable. Just to automatically enter the latitude and longitude which avoids going through google maps.

But already two input fields for latitude and longitude would be good for photographers who do not have cameras with a gps chip.
(google translate)

1 Like

Hi,
ART is not really about managing metadata. It tries to provide some basic support, but that’s it. However, you should be able to use an external metadata editor if it supports xmp sidecars (e.g. digikam). Did you try that?

As @agriggio said, digikam allows you to do that. I’m in the same case as you, and using digikam I can easily add gps coordinates from a map to my raw files, or with the help of correlation using a gpx track. The coordinates are written to the xmp sidecar files, and she edit the raw files in ART the tags are written into the jpeg files on export. Works great.

Exiftool will also do this, to the xmp file or directly into the raw file.

Hello. I will use Digikam for geolocation. I hope that the compatibility between Digikam and ART for the transmission of contents by the “xmp” file is and will be good. Thank you for your work. Philippe

Hi,

If you have troubles with this, please let me know. I’d like this to work well, and if there are bugs I’m willing to fix them.

Ok. Merci

I’ve used it as I said earlier, and really works just fine. GPS coordinates even get transferred to the exif metadata when ART exports JPEG.
I’ve been able to create HTML widgets which will map the images on an OpenStreetMap map for example, which I found really cool.

Do you know if a wordpress extension allows you to view geotagged images in a folder on an openstreetmap map? Like your widget creation …

I don’t know if a simple solution exists.

Mine was rather convoluted. I’m starting to create a Hugo blog, and for that I use RStudio, running the R statistical software and the blogdown package to generate my Hugo website. The pages are based on rmarkdown markup language which uses pandoc to render the html pages. This is because I like data sciences and I use R a lot at work for scientific data analyses. From R, and using different packages, I can call exiftool in a picture folder to read to create a table with the image names and their geolocation. This table is used to create an html widget, which renders an OpenStreetMap with markers on it, and when I click on the markers it opens the corresponding image.
When I finish setting up my blog, I’ll probably make a post on pixls.us to show how I did it. All the tools I use are open source I think, so I think it fits on pixls.us.

Hugo can read exif data natively :slight_smile:

I just don’t know Hugo…

If you have specific questions or problems, feel free to PM me.

I just use that, not FOSS but free:

Here’s a preview of my blog post: https://seb-guyader.netlify.app/blog/2020-08-20-test-leaflet/

Edit: the map widget is loading slowly because the images are embedded. Next time I’ll try to let it load images dynamically to make the widget smaller.

That’s good to know, thanks. If you select multiple images, are they all displayed at the same time on the map?

As far as I know, regretfully no. But it is very simple. Perhaps it could be asked for to the dev.
My photos are automatically geotagged on my PC with the GPS data recorded on my smartphone.
I use the above function to be sure where and when the photo was taken and synchronise with my written notes.

I use also this sw for star ratings in conjunction with ART.

The advantage of Digikam is that you can actually geotag non tagged images, or modify the geotag if it’s off, using the map directly in Digikam.

But to come back to what the OP wanted, Digikam and ART make for a great combination for geotagging images when the camera has no GPS, and ART exports the GPS coordinates to the exif data in the exported jpegs, and those can be used later on in a blog, but I don’t know if it can de done for wordpress.

I know of a small personal website which presents very well its previously geotagged images on a world map. http://vincentbourganel.fr/pages/map/
At the time, I asked a darktable developer to see if it was possible to do the same presentation. But if digikam does all this …

Indeed that blog looks nice!