Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe

160 year ago Édouard Manet painted Le Déjeuner sur l’herbe.

When the work was exhibited, it caused a sensation not so much for the naked woman, but because it broke some formal rules. If we take a closer look, the naked woman provokes us spectators because - as we would say today - she “looks into the camera”, she addresses us. With this simple device, Manet underlines a distance between us and the scene represented and at the same time winks at a proximity, a certain complicity, between us and the scene depicted.

We are even closer to this work today, especially with an eye now educated in the aesthetics of photographic reproduction, and that woman and that language are still looking back at us despite all the time that has passed. The past is winking at us and we shouldn’t ignore it.

The following photograph is a personal family photo, sort of a “Déjeuner sur l’herbe” looking forward from eighty years ago.

Perhaps Pixls.us should also include a category dedicated to digitization of analog photos and graphic works. At the moment there is enormous attention everywhere in the world to the digitization of the cultural-historical-social and even family heritage stored in vintage documents.

The recovery of this heritage requires technical skills, hardware/software knowledge and workflows on which it would be interesting to open a shared exchange of experiences and ideas.

5 Likes

I think the Processing and Capturing categories are already quite OK for this. If you want more metadata, use a tag.

1 Like

@paperdigits Thank you for having considered my proposal so promptly. It’s nice to see a forum moderator who doesn’t behave like a prison guard, but knows how to show hearthly empathy with us common users. Honestly I feel hurt. Anyway, Love.

Not sure what you’d like me to do about that.

We are not and do not want to be an artifact repository for people’s digitized photos and documents. We also don’t want to have categories that are mostly empty, and we already have a few of those.

Where can one cancel his account in this forum and have his data back?

Seriously, how can I cancel my subscription to this forum. I’m not able to find it in my profile.

I don’t expect that you respect the European General Data Protection Regulation, but at least there should be a way to UNSUBSCRIBE.

@paperdigits Surely you know a way. You are always so diligent.

@paperdigits are you still here? We had a private chat, I know you are here.

@paperdigits My love could you manifest your presence?

@paperdigits I want to get out of this forum! And I want my data back.

@paperdigits Keep your time. I’m not in a hurry.

@paperdigits But as soon as you get the papers sorted give me a hint.

@paperdigits Don’t be afraid to disturb, just send me a signal.

Is this response really necessary?

I’m sorry your upset, but you’re taking some thing personally that isn’t at all personal.

If you’d like to be removed, I will remove you, but you won’t be able to deregister, as you’ve said you’d like to.

Also please not that we take invoking the law seriously, please don’t do that unless you’re serious.

Remove my post and my account and we are square. But do it!

There is no need to be rude.

Please also realize that by posting your family photo, you’ve licensed it under the Creative Commons license.

That’s not a problem and you know it.

@anon42681393 can I just say that (a) I’d be sorry to see you go - I always find your input very interesting and worthwhile, and (b) I honestly don’t think @paperdigits’ reply was meant to be hurtful or anything like it.
I read it as a simple statement of fact of Mica’s opinion. I’ve seen many occasions online where without the cues of facial expression, tone of voice etc, things get taken completely the wrong way, and with all respect this seems one of those.
You won’t reconsider?

4 Likes

@123sg I won’t reconsider :heartpulse: