Lens correction does not work?

I shoot some raw with by Nikon D7100 + 18-140 lens, I open the file in Darktable and I enabled the Lens Correction module. From the drop down it looks like the tool recognized my camera and lens correctly. All the sliders below the drop down are disabled.

But when I enable/disable this module there nothing changed to the preview, how do I know if the lens correction actually works?

Hi, I was about to post a similar problem. For two lenses, Darktable module recognises the camera Fuji XE2 but not the lens.

For the Samyang 12mm f2 NCS I know its not in the exif data but its not in the drop down list. For the other lens XF 18-135mm it recognises the lens and says camera/lens not found.

Lensfun webpage shows Samyang listed but not the XF18-135. I checked the Wilson.Bronger webpage and this lists both.
I’m using Opensuse 42.2 and KDE Plasma 5.8.

Any ideas?

I managed to fix this! I simply downloaded the latest lensfun database and replaced the xml files for fuji and samyang in the Lensfun folder in the root/usr/share directory. The samyang reports as 14mm in Darktable but the correction looks ok to me. The fuji lens was picked up no problem

1 Like

To update lensfun data exist an script (actually there’re two):

update‑lensfun‑data

or

g‑lensfun‑update‑data

In my computer lensfun was installed with brew and I only have the second one.

You don’t need to execute it with root privileges if only need it updated for your current user (updates will be stored ~/.local/share/lensfun/updates).

If you need it updated system wide then execute it with sudo

Info from Lensfun site

I’m quite a newbie to linux and typing this in terminal (konsole) it told me command not found. I then tried “zypper update lensfun” in super user mode.
This command ran ok but reported package name not found. I think I’ll stick to manually updating the lensfun folder as I’m hardly likely to buy too many new lenses in the future.:slight_smile:
I also managed to find the Samyang 12mm profile - there was more than one Samyang xml folder that needed updating in Lensfun.

Those script are expected to be in your system when you installed lensfun. I mean you don’t need to install them because should be already there (you had to install lensfun already to use darktable).

As you did it could be lost if someday lensfun is updated in your system (not too much probably because an update is expected to use an updated database).

Anyway if it’s working don’t touch nothing :smiley: