Lens Correction Module: camera/lens not found

Hello friends.

So I’m wondering, How can I make this “lens correction” module work? The problem is that the module doesn’t recognize my camera. So I tried to set it manually but the Nikon D3300 is not in the list. Also, my camera lens appears in the module but below it there’s this message: “camera/lens not found - please select manually”. I cannot move any of the sliders.

Am I missing something? Thank you in advanced.

That’s weird, D3300 should be supported by lensfun (Lensfun). You can try to update yourself the lensfun library.

Which PPAs have you enabled on your system? I’m asking because I have noticed in the past some conflicts between the “gimp-edge” PPA and the “darktable releases” one, in particular with LensFun support.

The reason is that gimp-edge provides lensfun v0.3.1, while the darktable package is compiled with lensfun v0.2.8.

The two versions are I guess binary incompatible, so if you have v0.3.1 installed on your system, than the darktable’s lens correction module will not work properly anymore…

It took me several weeks to figure this out.

I have this one:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmjdebruijn/darktable-release/ubuntu xenial main

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmjdebruijn/darktable-release/ubuntu xenial main

And do you also have a PPA for GIMP?

No… I haven’t. I only added Darktable PPA. Other than that, the default Linux Mint repository.

Would you know how to check the version of the lens fun package on your system?

No I dont. First time knowing about "fun package ".

Damn automatic corrector… I meant “lensfun”.

What is the output of this command?

dpkg -s liblensfun0

Sorry for my ignorance, but what should I do with that? Paste it on my Terminal and press Enter?

I’m really sorry, I’m typing too fast and skipping too many essential details!

Yes, you should type this command in a terminal window. dpkg is the command that allows to perform several operations on the debian packages. Your Mint 18 is a derivative of the Debian distribution, and uses the same kind of packages to install the software…

Well, I got this:

linuxmint@linuxmint-S500CA ~ $ dpkg -s liblensfun0
Package: liblensfun0
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 137
Maintainer: Debian KDE Extras Team pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org
Architecture: amd64
Source: lensfun
Version: 0.2.8-3pmjdebruijn1~xenial
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.8), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), liblensfun-data
Description: Lens Correction library - Runtime files
Lensfun is an opensource database of photographic lenses and their
characteristics. It contains three kinds of objects:

• mounts
  • cameras
  • lenses
    It is used in various photo-related software in which it allows the
    correction of various artifacts:
  • distortion
  • transveral (also known as lateral) chromatic aberrations
  • vignetting
  • colour contribution of the lens (correcting said “yellowish” or “blueish”
    images)
    It provides a way to read and search for specific things in the database.
    This package contains the runtime files to access the library.
    Homepage: http://lensfun.sourceforge.net

Then your lensfun dependencies are OK, and the problem with the D3300 not being recognised must be somewhere else…

Looking at the list of supported lenses, I see the

Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G DX ED

model, but not the VR II version, so it is likely that the lens is simply not included in the list of those known to lensfun.

In the meantime (afaik) selecting any aps-c nikon body should yield the same results as having the D3300 recognized.

But the body should be recognized nevertheless, while having an unrecognized lens. I’ve had cases of new lenses when that happened.

If you have a lens which is not in the database, you should provide RAW images for each focal length of your lens.

Torsten Bronger created an easy way to get them added:

http://wilson.bronger.org/calibration

I’ve just provided images for my UW lens.