LeRes and Stereoscopy

If I provide a depth map from LeRes, can I create a stereoscopic video with Natron.
Can I use Rotoshapes to segment the image out with a depth map?
Could I also use Rotoshapes to guide the depth map?

Yes you can use rotoshapes to draw a depth map. I often do this (along with ramps) to add fog to an image. You can use this as the source of an idistort to change perspective.

Is it the the kind of things you’re after ?

1 Like

Yes, you can create a mask from objects that are within some range: use the Clamp node, and tune its parameters (which are not super intuitive the first time you use it), viewing only the alpha channel in the viewer (“a”)

of course, you can RotoPaint the depth map.

What’s missing is a process that create a second view from the depth map (this is called DIBR, for depth image-based rendering). It requires a process called “forward warp” which is not currently implemented in Natron (IDistrot and STMap implement “backward warp”).

It is available through third-party plugins such as Re:Map by re:vision effects.

Someone could also write a forward warping plugin for Natron (which could produce an inverse UV map to be used by IDistort). It’s relatively easy using OpenGL.

1 Like

Links to relevant depth estimation software:

1 Like

I’ve downloaded the code for all of those, and Leres and Midas worked in Google Colab.
The rest of the code kept breaking in the cells, so I couldn’t load a video.
Still gonna keep trying.
So we’ll see.
I’ve sort of been archiving methods of using this.
My endgame is to recreate a light field.
However, for now, I want to settle on Stereoscopy.