Let's use math my nerds

For a while we had either to render math outside of the forum or using some kind of ascii art for them.

But this is over now.

We added the offical math plugin to our instance. And yes asciimath is enabled too.

$$
E=mc^2
$$

will be rendered as

E=mc^2

All the rendering is client side (via javascript). Hope it makes it a bit more fun for you nerds.

The only caveat I have noticed so far that preview seems to act funky if you start directly with math.
Other than that my testing seemed to reveal no problems.

With kind regards,

the nerds from your infrastructure team.

16 Likes

If you are going to use a mathjax equation in a post, please remember to start the post with some regular text to not break preview rendering… :slight_smile:

x={-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac} \over 2a}
$$
x={-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac} \over 2a}
$$

There’s a condition missing in your example :laughing:

Hmmm…

{2 \times much \times dependency \over mathematics} = \sqrt{ \forall Evil}
3 Likes

Did not want to correct you, just wanted to know if it might work …

\frac{2×\text{much}×\text{dependency}}{\text{mathematics}}=\sqrt{ \forall\text{Evil}}

with that sweet LaTeX font and everything!

2 Likes

Nice FORmula TRANslator, by the way.

Err, do you mean \LaTeX? :wink:

1 Like

Haha, I do!

1 Like

COOOOL!!! :muscle::metal::+1::pray::fireworks::tada::confetti_ball:

I find the balance of the letters disturbing. Should be more like LaTeX_logo. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, it sometimes takes a while for the scripts to load on my phone…

The latex part is rendered client side, so its your phone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, I agree that \LaTeX is not the same as the standard typeset \LaTeX, which you’ve displayed. KaTeX (https://katex.org/) gets it right. Maybe it’s because we’re talking about math typesetting here, but this math plugin is giving us italics (i.e., \textit{\LaTeX}).

Is this conversation off the rails yet?

And I have no comment for or against your phone.

I don’t mind the wait. What bothers me is when the scroll position of the thread shifts between loading and loaded.

Let us test:

success={{perseverance * (luck)^3} \over time}

Cool! :+1:t4:

1 Like

@Isaac luck cubed? :laughing:

1 Like

Quote of the day by @afre:

If luck were a fruit, I would certainly serve it in cubes.

3 Likes

Wombat excrement :poop: is served in cubes; Is that the sort of luck you were referring to? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/11/wombat-poop-cube-why-is-it-square-shaped/

One word: mob.

1 Like