LGM and Libre Graphics at SCaLE 16x

![](upload://wHQgcas0cU0H2ajPGzhlqXj65EL.png)

LGM and Libre Graphics at SCaLE 16x

All the libre graphics!

There are two libre graphics related meetings coming up early next year. The annual Libre Graphics Meeting (in Spain this year), and something entirely new: a libre graphics track at SCaLE. How exciting!

Libre Graphics Meeting 2018

![LGM Logo SVG|689x332](upload://57YtsaMmokmoPwegullXzwRtbNt.svg)

The Libre Graphics Meeting is going to be in Seville, Spain this year. They recently published their Call for Participation and are accepting presentation and talk proposals now. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend this year, but there’s a pretty good chance some friendlier folks from the community will be! We’ll update more about who will be making it out as soon as we know, and maybe we can convince someone to run another photowalk with everyone. (On a side note, if anyone from the community is going to make it and wants a hand putting anything together for a presentation just let us know - we’re here to help.)

Libre Graphics at SCaLE (California, USA)

![SCaLE 16x Logo|640x252](upload://ykjUt2mYiXV9Nt9abtqDWpxmBsZ.png)

This year we have a neat announcement - due to some prodding from Nate Willis, we have been given a day at the Southern California Linux Expo (SCaLE) to hold a Libre Graphics focused track! The expo is at the Pasadena Convention Center, March 8-11, 2018.

We first had a chance to hang out with LWN editor Nate Willis during the Libre Graphics Meeting 2016 in London, and later out at the Texas Linux Fest. GIMP was able to have both Akkana Peck and myself out to present on GIMPy stuff and host a photowalk as well.

The organizer for SCaLE, Ilan, was kind enough to give us a day (Friday, March 9th) and a room for all the libre graphics artists, designers, programmers, and hackers.

![](upload://vrDBU7HBvUMSqqvTJOfytVc7ofg.jpeg) ![](upload://jMESdNWnHRB3JqbF6pr7vj76K0U.png)
You could come meet the face behind these avatars.

I will be in attendance promoting GIMP stuff in the main track, Dr. Ullah (Isaac Ullah) will hopefully be presenting, and Mica will be there (@paperdigits) as well. I’m pretty certain we’ll be holding a photowalk for attendees while we’re there - and we may even setup a nice headshot booth in the expo to take free headshots for folks.

We would love to see some folks out there. If you think you might be able to make it, or even better submit a talk proposal, please come and join us! (I was thinking about getting an AirBnB to stay in, so if folks let me know they are going to make it out we can coordinate a place to all stay together.)

SCaLE Libre Graphics Track Call for Participation

The libre graphics community is thrilled to announce that a special, one-day track at SCaLE 16x will be dedicated to libre graphics software and artists. All those who work with free and open-source tools for creative graphics projects are invited to submit a proposal and join us for the day!

SCaLE 16x will take place from March 8 to 11 of 2018 in Pasadena California. Libre Graphics Day: SCaLE will take place at the main SCaLE venue on Friday, March 9.

The libre graphics track is an opportunity for teams, contributors and practitioners involved in Libre Graphics projects to share their experiences, showcase new developments, and hear new and inspiring ideas.

By libre graphics we mean “free, Libre and Open Source tools for creative uses”. Libre graphics is not just about software, but extends to standards and file formats used in creative work.

People from around the world who are passionate about Free/Libre tools and their creative applications are encouraged to submit a talk proposal. Sessions will be 30 minutes in length.

Developers, artists, and activists alike are invited. First-time presenters and established projects of all sizes are welcome to submit.

We are looking for:

• Reflections and practical sessions on promoting the philosophy and use of Libre Graphics tools.
  • Technical presentations and workshops for developers.
  • Showcases of excellent work made using Libre Graphics tools.
  • New tools and workflows for graphics and code.
  • Reflections on the activities of existing Free/Libre and Open Source communities.

Submit

Please submit your proposal to graphics-cfp@socallinuxexpo.org.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me on the forum.

Deadline

The deadline for submissions is January 10th, 2018, and participants will be notified by the end of January 2018.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://pixls.us/blog/2017/12/lgm-and-libre-graphics-at-scale-16x/

I’m bumping this topic to raise a little more awareness.

If anyone might be in the Southern California area in early March, SCaLE 16x will be going on! I’ll be booking flights and a place to stay soon - so if you think you’d like to make it out and want to share an AirBnB or something please let me know soon!

Even better - if you’d like to present on your work (artistic or programming), let me know as soon as possible, so I can include your proposal with others for consideration! I’ll be presenting on the state of GIMP, and on the community here. @paperdigits is either going to also present on PIXLS.US with me, or he’ll find something cool to talk about as well! @Isaac has a presentation that I think is on the LG track, but may actually be on the main track at SCaLE as well (either way he’ll be around).

Come on out and spend a weekend shooting photos and hanging out with other Free Software nerds!

I’d like to speak on a Git for Photographers workflow! :wink:

2 Likes

Hey @patdavid! Actually, my paper will be on the Open Data track, which helps me kill two birds with one stone (i.e., it means that I will be able to put it on my professional CV!). My talk will be on open source mobile digital data collection techniques for the field sciences. It will, however, feature a workflow for processing drone images! Perhaps also use of RPD to organize field photos. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@patdavid and @paperdigits

Looks like my talk will be on Sunday at 1:30pm in the Open Data track. I will be driving up with my wife on Friday after 2pm, which means I probably won’t get to our motel (in Hollywood) until at least 4 or 5. How long will the the Libre Graphics room be open on Friday? I’d love to swing by to see you guys!! If not, then perhaps a photowalk in Hollywood? I’m staying at a little motel right by the tar pits, etc… We could meet up on Hollywood Blvd and do some street photography/ :smile:

PS. (Saturday my wife and I are going to be nerdy tourists and go check out the new Harry Potter land at Universal Studios :nerd_face:, but I will be back at the expo on Sunday. If you can, please do come see my talk on the Sunday. Here’s the abstract. We could plan t have lunch before hand?)

1 Like

@Isaac, I don’t know that you’ll make it to any talks with that schedule, but I’ll generally be around the area/venue and I’m sure @patdavid will as well. I plan to pretty much hang out after our track. And go to sushi with my girlfriend afterwords, most likely.

1 Like

Ok, cool. I would have liked to have come up earlier, but work and all that… Let’s develop a plan to meet up as we get closer to the date…

Absolutely! I think I’ll be at the booth on Saturday, and will go to your talk on Sunday.

1 Like

@Isaac I’ll be flying in on Thursday I think (no idea what time yet).

I also plan on hanging around our track all day on Friday, and if you’ll be around we can all plan to meet Friday evening for dinner possibly?

I’m going to fly out on Sunday at some point, later in the afternoon probably (or else Monday if there’s no good times for me to get out).

Otherwise my schedule is open for photowalks (we should really coordinate something, @paperdigits and start advertising it also), dinners, and socially chilling with you photo nerds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a reminder that we’re going to be getting together in just a day or so! If anyone is in/near the Pasadena/LA area it would be great to see you and say hi!

I’ll be flying into LAX tomorrow late afternoon. Feel free to hit me or @paperdigits up here and let us know if you’d like to meet up (or attend SCaLE). You can PM either of us and we can coordinate from there.

Yes do it!

Awesome! I’ll be getting in on Friday early evening, as soon as the traffic gods allow!

1 Like

Message for Paperdigits Mica . I was just curious to see if I might recognise you if you were at London two years ago, a couple of clicks gave me a load of personal info about you (date of birth location, prev location). Not sure if this is normal in USA but here in UK I’d delete that asap because of fraud. Website was mylife.com. of course they may have false details…

I’ve never been to London. That website doesn’t have a lot of correct info on it… But I have a 4.5 star rating out of 5…

2 Likes

Congratulations :wink: Whatever that means …

I think it clearly means on awesome @chris. A 9 out of 10. Stellar! :wink:

I would not trust scales that don’t go to eleven :smile:.