LGM19: Brief notes, wishlist, and action items

The Libre Graphics Meeting in Saarbrücken was my first one, and what an event it was!

It was an absolute pleasure to finally meet people I’ve been interacting with online for the longest time in person: Pat David (@patdavid), Alex Prokoudine, Johannes Hanika, and many others. And there were plenty of interesting talks and discussions.

More importantly, we had a productive meeting, where we discussed how we can make PIXLS.US even better and what we can do to make life easier for developers of open source photography software.

During my 5-hour train ride home, I had time to process what we talked about, and I thought I’d share my thoughts. I intended to write directly to Pat and others, but then I thought that it would make sense to talk about these things openly.

My action items

• Start contributing directly to PIXLS.US. Pat suggested that we might create a dedicated blog for my content, because apparently I have a brand. :joy: I don’t know about that, and I have nothing against contributing to what’s already there, namely the existing blog. This way, we don’t have to spend time and effort on setting up something new. This will also prevent “content fragmentation” within the site itself. The reader will find fresh content in one place instead of traversing the site. It’s just a thought, and I’m open to other ideas. If we agree on me writing for the main blog, I’m ready to start as soon as I have the required login info and instructions. :slight_smile:

• Somewhat related to the previous item. If there is any content on my Scribbles and Snaps blog that you think is worth moving to PIXLS.US, then we should just do it.

• To promote PIXLS.US, I’ll update the byline I use with Linux Magazine.

• If there are any other tasks you think I’d be the one to take care of, do let me know!

Wishlist

Well, it’s not a list but just a single wish. If possible, I’d like to have a forum on PIXLS.US for my Little Backup Box project. At the moment, there is no central place for managing user interaction and posting updates, and it would be really nice to have a place for my project under PIXLS.US’s umbrella.

Just in case, I’m adding @darix and @paperdigits to the convo. Mica, I hope to meet you in person sometime soon. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

All of these things are very doable :slight_smile:

I’m feeling like I really missed out by not going. I hope to make it to the next one to meet you and everyone.

3 Likes

I am very sorry that we could not meet in person.

We almost did: I attended your workshop. Which was great, by the way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dmpop thanks

@patdavid and @paperdigits I’m eager to get started. :grinning: I think all I need is login info for the blog and a forum for Little Backup Box. Let me know if there is anything you need from me. Thank you!

2 Likes

Yikes, I’m sorry - I got back from LGM and have to work doublehard to get caught up on work stuff (the next few weeks are the busiest of the year for me at work).

I have a million notes and thoughts and ideas to get started, and the will to do it, but I lack the time for a few weeks. With that said, you can start with cloning the website repo from Github.

See if you can build it on your machine locally first (this will make it faster and easier for you to test your stuff).

Once that’s done, I or @paperdigits can help with any other questions or process you might want for writing/publishing. (I’d create a new branch in your clone of the repo for each post/article you want to write - this makes it easier to merge and publish).

I’m sorry for being only semi-available for a little bit, but I will make sure to hit this hard with you after July 9th (when I get a chance to breath!). :slight_smile:

I’m available for questions.

As far as a forum goes, how about Hardware > Little Backup Box?

Geez Pat, no need to apologize! I can totally relate. I’ll start with the repo and will bug @paperdigits if I run into problems. :slight_smile: Thank you, and take it easy!

Best,
Dima

Hardware > Little Backup Box is perfect! Thank you for offering your help. As I wrote to Pat, I’ll clone the repo and will monkey around a bit. I’ll let you know if I have any questions (I most likely will :slight_smile:).

Best,
Dima

Btw. the next rainy day, I will update my night sky photography tutorial and create a blog post for pixls.us. Then I can also do part 2 of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There will be some place to watch/read the presentations? From Twitter, it seems that a lot of interesting stuff was presented and it would be a shame that none of it made it to the public.

1 Like

I’m still plotting an article or two on photography technique.

@dmpop I’ve created a Little Backup Box category: https://discuss.pixls.us/c/hardware/little-backup-box

1 Like

Thank you so much, Mica!

Best,
Dima