librtprocess - quo vadis

I would like to invite @patdavid to this thread. Though he most likely won’t be able to contribute to the tech details of this thread, he might be able to tell us his perspective from a completely different point of view which is also very important.

Any objections?

Ingo

1 Like

No objections here.

@darix I definitely wouldn’t mind having a RawSpeed interface built into librtprocess.

are any or all of you coming to LGM next year? i think these issues here would be a perfect candidate for a face to face meeting. i think there’s very important stuff in all of this, but i’d hate to make a mess of it or do a half-arsed job of it such that in the end projects will not pick it up for a reason or another (having to include many dependencies for simple things that aren’t quite adapted to the requirements etc).

As LGM 2019 will be in my hometown, I will be there :slight_smile:

I was going to post in the general forum about the CFP for LGM coming up.

At the same time I was hoping to reserve some BoF discussions for the PIXLS folks in general (aside from a possible photography workshop from Stefan Schmitz, I think).

Should I try to reserve some BoF discussions on the LGM website for us to discuss in more detail?

Please excuse, but what’s ‘BoF’ ?

“Birds of a Feather” meeting - usually a few hours breakout in our own space separate from the main events (for people coming together around a similar thing).

1 Like

I’d be interested in going to LGM for working on something like this.

1 Like

In Leipzig I think it was pretty awesome to be able to share a flat with everyone. It’d be awesome to do this again if everyone was willing. We should also get a head count on folks attending so we can start fundraising asap after the new year (I’ll post something about this on the general forum as well).

I won’t share a flat this time as it does not make sense for me to share a flat in my hometown :wink:

2 Likes

Well we could all come to your place then! :wink: runs

···

On 2018-12-29 23:36, Ingo Weyrich wrote:

I won’t share a flat this time as it does not make sense for me to
share a flat in my hometown :wink:

openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
openSUSE is good for you
www.opensuse.org

2 Likes

I was just thinking we have librawspeed for loading, and librawcute (aka librtprocess) for making it look nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

On this note - do you think this is something that might be a good candidate for presenting at LGM this year? @heckflosse or @hanatos have any thoughts on this?

@CarVac should probably do that presentation maybe together with @heckflosse

I’m also hopeful that we can get at least a lightning talk from @CarVac on Filmulator too.

Does a lightning talk have any slides, or is it just a talk?

I believe you can use slides as well? I think the time limit is around 5 minutes or so.

I’m joining again the party here after the Christmas break… in fact, with the new year I would really like to make some good contribution to librtprocess. I already have a PhotoFlow branch that uses the Amaze demosaicing from librtprocess, so I can easily do tests and develop stuff.

From my point of view, a C interface would be perfectly fine. I think PhF has requirements very similar to DT, the most important one being that the library should allow to apply any provided filter to a small window in the image. Moreover, for a given destination RoI it should provide a way to compute the required input RoI. This might also depend on the filter parameters (like the radius of a gaussian blur, that determines how much border pixels are needed to compute a given RoI).

Pixel buffers can be passed as simple pointers, to avoid having complex intermediate structures. I think that a float*** (i.e. a vector of 2D matrices) could be the best way to represent all possible encodings (RGB, Lab, Grayscale, CMYK…).

Concerning the filters that I would like to see implemented, there are many, but those seem to be really important (also as building blocks for more complex ones):

• double-demosaicing
  • auto CA correction
  • lensfun-based optical corrections
  • hot pixels filter
  • “salt&pepper” noise reduction
  • blur operators: gaussian, bilateral, guided filter
  • defringing

Regarding the LGM meeting, since this year it will not be far from where I leave I’d really like to come, if there is some hope for funding. And having a lighting talk on PhotoFlow would be even better!

2 Likes

Absolutely agree!