Like in the Good Old Days! [Distro Fever]

My first computer a Z81

1 Like

Oh, first computers… Mine was a plywood box. In it, one would find a S-100 card cage populated with a Z-80 CPU board, 64MKb memory board, disk controller, and a 256k RAM drive (blazing fast!!). Alongside the card cage were two 8" floppy disk drives and a 30-pound power supply.

This, a Wyse terminal, and a 300baud modem got me through my masters degree. I finally got rid of it last year, reclaiming basement space. Sorry, no pictures, didn’t have photography back then… :smile:

1 Like

A friend of mine had the white ZX80 you built from a kit.
She did build it.

1 Like

I buy him to the 6 years, and was born in the 81 so it already was used…

My university days were filled with waiting until 3 am to get access to keypunch machines. Good times.

1 Like

64Mb? On a Z80?

whups, 64K.

And that was a lot, back then…

1 Like

This was my first ever computer:
Кворум (компьютер) — Википедия (sorry there is no link in English)

I was probably 9 years old but I have learned basics of programming on Basic on that machine.

Then it was a ZX 80 Spectrum. I think mine actually had either 128K or 256K RAM. Spectrum was a gaming console :slight_smile:
Remember this? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh yes, I remember the days of Robocop of the ZX Spectrum all too well!

I remember how pleased I was with myself when I eventually complete it.

Jet Set Willy, however, was another story… I still get nightmares about the Jet Set Willy in game “ear worm” as I see Willy plummeting to his death due to a badly planned jump! :scream:

The youth of today, don’t know they’ve been born. At least they never had to put up with loading a game from audio cassette for 5+ minutes, only for it to fail with the dreaded R Tape loading error, 0:1

My start with Linux; version 0.99.13 if I recall.

Couldn’t find The Gimp on it though. :wink:

my retrogame :joystick:

1 Like