Linux computer for processing photos

For my Radeon RX 6600 card the main video driver is OSS and comes with Fedora automatically. To enable OpenCL I installed this OSS driver:

sudo dnf install rocm-opencl

and after enabling CL in DT it became much faster.

3 Likes

Maybe that depends on the distro: on my Ubuntu box I just have to install a package that’s maintained by the OS developers.

1 Like

omg, if I didn’t care I wouldn’t ask here … :wink:

yep, I’ve heard a lot of praise about Radeon and opensource driver … if I could and have a choice I would prefer Radeon but unfortunately laptops with Radeon graphics are like endangered species …

Yes, Fedora is notorious this way, Ubuntu is more user friendly for NVidia users.

Really? No issues on my end F39. Howto/NVIDIA - RPM Fusion

There are plenty of Laptops with embedded Radeon GPUs, but possibly depends where you live.

Personally, I have nothing but praise for AMD. I work both in Linux and W11 and it’s stellar everywhere. I have AMD CPU & AMD GPU 6650XT.

1 Like

Not on linux. The hw calibration sw is only for mac/windows.

yes, I am asking from the beginning how hardware calibration works, if I can use my mac computer to calibrate the display and then use it with different computer …

Checkout the YouTube channel artisright… lots of good content on calibration

I was reading a lot about calibration … as far as I understand the only output from calibration is an .icc profile stored in the file that you can use with specific applications (image processing apps for example) or globally if your operating system supports that … there is debate if calibrating a display from Linux using virtualbox and usb passthrough will work or if just calibrating a display using windows on same computer (dualboot or just a disk switcheroo) and then using Linux will work …

There is one certainty - hardware vendors don’t support Linux so obviously the calibrating software is available typically only for Windows and Mac …

my point is - I am not going to start using other operating system just because of this … I insist on using Linux and opensource … The worst scenario is that I will just not buy display with hw calibration support … I’ve read elsewhere that perhaps some other vendors support “unofficially” Linux … I have no problem to just use windows in vbox if it will work, or just use windows on my hardware (I always remove untouched original disk with oem windows from laptop and insert my own m2.ssd before installing Linux) and calibrate the display … but the point is that I will always require to use my Linux for a regular desktop from where I will be processing my photographs …

DisplayCAL

1 Like

Calibration is not complex. You buy this and use displaycal (available via flatpak) to calibrate your monitor.

Calibrite Display SL (CCDISSL) Amazon.com

1 Like

Doesn’t do any hw calibration to the monitor.

You seems to be confusing calibration with the profiling.

Of course, rpmfusion works just fine. Until it doesn’t because it got out of sync with the kernel. With open source drivers (like for Intel or Radeon) no such extra steps are needed.

1 Like

Hello … I am a huge step closer to new computer … I am already planning a computer … I decided to go with AMD cpu and AMD GPU (RX 7600 XT) and I would love to additionally verify one thing …

I am a bit confused of GPU participation in processing with certain programs that support that … Based on what I have googled out they are supposed to use the GPU via some `opencl’ library … I’ve been googling a lot and found a lot of rants about that opencl for amd doesn’t work properly and others saying that it works instead … So my question is simple (they are actually two questions):

1. will amd gpu with rx 7600 xt work fully in Linux with that praised AMD driver ?
  2. will opencl work for me with above card (+ its native linux driver) ?

Programs that I use (and that I wanna boost) are

RT - it doesn’t use GPU
DT - it does via opencl ???
GIMP - there’s hidden feature to activate GPU … it sounds very scary … LOL :smiley:
Kdenlive - no idea how it works there and if it works … a lot of confusing results googled out, no idea if it is using opencl or something else

If you use the proprietary AMD driver openCL should work fine.

All the complaints about AMD drivers are about the open ones, which AMD can’t seem to commit to.

I have Radeon RX 6600 running on Fedora 39 with open source rocm driver:

$ rpm -qa|grep ^rocm
rocm-clinfo-5.7.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocm-comgr-17.0-3.fc39.x86_64
rocm-device-libs-17.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocm-runtime-5.7.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocm-opencl-5.7.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocminfo-5.7.0-1.fc39.x86_64

Darktable recognizes this driver and processes photos much faster because of OpenCL:

2 Likes

A few remarks about me trying to use Nvidia on Linux:

• Proprietary drivers are more stable and/or easy to install and setup ;
  • Nvidia work well with X11 (almost out of the box) but not well with Wayland (in my experience) ;
  • Nividia does not like when the computer go to suspend/hibernation, I have to reboot the computer after this to have OpenCL to work (a common problem on Linux with Nvidia, it seems) ;

I do not color calibrate at the moment but from my research on Linux it is 1000× easier to do hardware calibration because otherwise you will have to ensure all the software you use are compatible (X11/Wayland, Nvidia driver, etc) and nothing is easy to setup here. Hardware calibration avoid using the OS for calibration (and also is more precise than software calibration).

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for input … I decided to go with AMD (both cpu+gpu) … I’ve heard a lot of praise about opensource radeon driver … only thing that I am considering now is to buy a cpu with integrated gpu to be able to run eventually a windows 10 VM and to be able to attach a dedicated gfx card (using pci passthrough) to windows VM to have native gpu/gfx performance in windows VM … regarding this plan I have to verify, if I can use a GPU (via ?opencl) from card that I will in reality not use for my X11 … You know what I mean - I will be running my entire desktop on cpu-integrated GPU and use dedicated pci gfx card only as a computing unit for graphical programs … but now I am thinking loud …

1 Like