Liquid Rescale for GIMP

Hi everyone, I tried, without success, to install the Liquid Rescale plug-in on Gimp 2.10.32 and macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra operating system. I tried with both Hombrew and Macport.
Version 0.7.1 is from 2010, do you know if it is compatible with High Sierra?
I have a version of Gimp 2.8 compiled by Lisanet that has the built-in plug-in working, but pasting it into the right Gimp 2.10.32 folder doesn’t work.
Does anyone have the working pyton file and can kindly attach a link here so I can download it? Thank you.

Personally, I haven’t touched plugins in a long time due to the state of the plugin site and its plugins. Please direct us through your installation process: where exactly are you getting GIMP and the plugin from? Be specific because the details matter.

Alternatively, G’MIC has an implementation of liquid rescale you may find useful. Its plugin is up-to-date and compatible with the latest GIMP. Let me know if you would like help with the setup.

BTW @rich2005 may be helpful in GIMP installation and configuration matters.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The reference site is this: Welcome - Liquid Rescale GIMP plugin
Following the various links, I tried to install the plugin:
1 Using MacPorts from a terminal
2 Using Homebrew from a terminal
3 Downloading and compiling the source code
But I didn’t get any results.
I also tried downloading from github: Release Continuous build · aferrero2707/gimp-plugins-collection · GitHub
The files are inserted correctly but the GIMP Layers menu does not see them.
Schermata 2023-02-03 alle 08.31.09

I’m interested, thanks

If it was a Windows or a linux installation I could help. I do use it in kubuntu, compiled myself. It does need the liblq packages. For a MacOS MacPorts / Homebrew you might have to install liblq separately.

Of course if you use a linux flatpak then there is a dedicated liquidrescale plugin.

From the alferrero LiquidRescale-Gimp-2.10-osx.tgz archive, the files seen to be there: libgraphite2.3.2.1.dylib / liblqr-1.0.dylib / libpcre.1.dylib Whether-or-not in the correct folder and compatible with your Mac installation, not known. The same applies with the Gimp plugins, they are compiled not python.

1 Like

1 @Carmelo_DrRaw is aferrero2707, but hasn’t been active for two years. We have other macOS users on the forum who may help you if you reach out. :wink:

2 Download the G’MIC plugin here. Post in the #software:gmic category if you require assistance.

Hi, I already have g’mic in Gimp. I think you were referring to the Seamcarve plugin. I’m trying it.
But Liquid Rescale seems more complete to me.

I have good memories of Liquid Rescale. What G’MIC version are you using BTW? The current version is 3.2.0 (and dev 3.2.1). It may be worth it to upgrade because newer versions support newer or improved filters.

My current version of g’mic is 2.7. Unfortunately I can’t install 3.0 or 3.2, I think because they are not compatible with High Sierra (I know it’s old but my mac does not support a newer one).

@partha’s McGIMP 2.10.22 release goes to G’MIC 2.9.0. :wink:

I acknowledge that seam carve is different. If you are willing to start a new #software:gmic thread, perhaps we can explore it together to arrive at something closer to what you want. @Reptorian, @garagecoder and @grosgood are good at following up with people.

I think the “seamcarve” filter has been there since at least v2.3, maybe even older.
It’s a different algorithm from Liquid rescale, but using the same principle (remove vertical/horizontal “seams” with low total gradient).

There is also ImageMagick’s -liquid-rescale option, which performs similarly to what you want, but I don’t think it has a GIMP plugin. If you are comfortable with the command-line, give it a go.