Liquid sunshine on hard metal.

Nikon D750 + Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G

18 Likes

This is wonderful! That high-contrast look with all of those details is like candy for my eyes wandering around. :slight_smile: (I could see many gearheads that might be interested in a print of this…)

I really enjoy the graphic nature of this-- strong lines and shapes!

Black and white shot with the “nifty-fifty” just goes to show that what we were shooting 50 years ago still looks great!

Thanks for the kind words!

This does bring me back to my B&W film days, something I am (was?) struggling with ever since I starting shooting/processing digitally.

While exposing to protect the highlights, I was afraid that the blacks would be lost due to the high dynamic range: The D750 is a nice camera to have :smile:

Add a polarizing filter and you have a nice setup. Not going to lie: I do rather love my 85 mm f/1.4 …

The round raindrops on the lines of the exhaust-pipes(?? I don’t know anything about motorcycles…) is what pulled me in first. All the other details came apparent when I started framing the shot.

I agree (mine is the AIS 85mm 1.4), though I even prefer more the AIS 50mm 1.2 (from f1.4 on upwards, not at 1.2)

Quite nice! Composition, framing, the whole bit. It’s a rare capture where a texture grabs your attention first, and I find those to be quite compelling.

I’m one that really loves rain and everything that comes with it and as long as it isn’t very heavy rain I often grab my gear and start walking (sadly weather-coating only goes so far, right.) So for me it isn’t all that strange to see the raindrops first, the surface they are on second and the complete picture third (if at all…).

1 Like

Cover of your next heavy metal album?

1 Like

Well done!

Great capture! Shows how wonderful light and texture can transform the mundane into something much more. Reminds me of the short silent film ‘Regen’ capturing a rainy day in Amsterdam. Might be something you’d enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNNI7knvh8o

1 Like

I all but forgot about that one! Thanks for pointing it out again.

Still have the same reaction to it: Love the cinematography, but I do prefer the original 1929 silent version.

That is the original silent version? If you’re referring to the soundtrack, I just play it on mute. Reason I linked that one is its the best picture quality I could find. Pity it’s not 1080p, the cinematography captures a great mood.

I wasn’t specifically talking about the version you linked, but in general.

Regen (Rain) is, originally, a short (early avant-garde) Dutch movie from 1929. Some composers made a score for it. Notably Albert Helman in 1932 and Hanns Eisler in 1941.

Here’s the English wiki about this short for those that are interested: