Little Backup Box: End-year update

Yikes! What a year 2020 has been! I lived through the collapse of the Soviet Union (yeah, I’m that old), and even that pales in comparison to twenty-awful-twenty. But even the darkest time had its bright spots. Despite the calamity, I was able to spend time on tinkering with Little Backup Box. Not as much as I’d have loved to, but I’m grateful nonetheless.

So as 2020 is nearing its end, I managed to squeeze in one more Little Backup Box update. I added support for email notifications and logging, added a dash of color to the status messages in the web UI, and made the auto shutdown feature configurable. Now, you can disable auto shutdown by modifying the POWER_OFF option in the config.cfg file. Little Backup Box now includes the File Browser application that can be used to manage the data stored on the backup storage device. Since Raspbian Pi OS uses systemd, I started replacing Little Backup Box processes with systemd services to improve stability.

I also updated the Little Backup Book to reflect the latest Little Backup Box changes and improvements.

2020 also brought two major external contributions to the project. Kerry Staite designed and shared cases for use with Little Backup Box, and Paul Roberts is working on a Little Backup Box HAT. Thank you so much for your work! I would also like to thank everyone, who bought the Little Backup Book, donated to the project, and contributed in many other ways.

Thank you all! Happy holiday and a very Happy New Year!

6 Likes