Local adjustments is in dev

I just merge this change :slight_smile:
jacques

1 Like

Thank you, it works well and is very useful.

@Wayne_Sutton

Thank you :slight_smile:
I just push 2 commit for all the curves in “color and Light”

Now, you have “references” (hue, luma, chroma) draw in each curve. I think it will help :slight_smile:
jacques

2 Likes

@heckflosse Will the changes affect the way the Edge Sharpness module in Wavelet Levels behaves and in particular this?
Screenshot from 2020-07-15 14-39-43

Wayne

I don’t think so

1 Like

@Wayne_Sutton

I think in all cases, its better…
Ingo replace a step pyramid, by a smooth pyramid…
The differences are small, but nevertheless it is better

Other thing
I found an old bug, in calculation H (LcH) use to hue reference to H (HSV) (uses by GUI curves), this differences leads to wrong values display…
I have fixed this (bad) behavior)

Jacques

1 Like

@jdc,

The Dynamic Range Compr. & Exposure” with inverse problem is gone.
C’est parfait maintenant.

2 Likes

Some questions about highlight recovery and local adjustments (among others)

Played around a few times with local adjustments and I think it’s really nice…

3 Likes

So local adjustments will be in the next stable release which will be released when? I am guessing it will be Version 6.0?

1 Like

Since the last commit (130fbb8 - Aug 10, 2020) many improvements have been made by Ingo @heckflosse , Pierre @Pandagrapher and me, and with advice from team members

• speed-up and code improvment ( especially the “wavelet” part)
  • rename the “normal” and “expert” complexity levels to “standard” and “advanced”
  • add complexity level “basic” : “basic” is simpler than “standard”, in particular, no mask, no curves…

jacques

5 Likes

Is Spot the only type?

Like freehand curves and bruishes aren’t in the dev local lab build?

The idea behind the original commercial spot concept was to have a quick and easy way of doing local edits without having to use brushes, lassos, magic wands etc., to create selections . It is the same idea behind RT-Spots which use their own algorithms and offer more flexibility:

• There are two shapes available (an ellipse and a rectangle), which can be adjusted asymmetrically around the spot itself.
  • You can control the detection mechanism within the shape to allow for more precise selections
  • You can associate parametric masks with the RT-Spot to refine the selection in difficult cases.

There is a description in Rawpedia under Local Adjustments (the translation is still work in progress). Local Adjustments - RawPedia

Hope that helps

1 Like

:scream: It feels really over engineered and oddly different from all other tools out there.

I always end up going back to Lightroom or ART and using the Brush tool with soft edges, takes about 20 seconds on complex shapes and great for about 80% of situations.

Compare this to, trying to fiddle around with selection using “sliders” which assume there is something in common like color to filter on.

Hmmm… still think there should be a brush option like the ART fork.

1 Like

The original U-Point concept as used in the the Nik Collection (c) was also quite different from the usual approach to local editing. However what suits one person may not suit another , which is why we are lucky to have so many options.
Personally I find RT-spots quick and easy for simple edits such as lifting the shadows on a face, adjusting skin tones, doing selective denoise and sharpening etc. etc.

The interface has three options: Basic, Standard and Advanced so it can be as simple or as comprehensive as you want.

1 Like

I have been a big fan of the U-Point approach since I first used it in Capture NX2 (then in PS via nik), so if RT-spot is similar I am a happy camper.

1 Like

So excited — I’ve been waiting years for this!

Is it possible to try it out now on macOS (without building from source)? Can’t find macOS among the automated builds.

I like the Lightroom brush, but I’m also in love with the u-point concept in Snapseed (also used CaptureNX long ago). A combination of both is probably the best, but I will hold my comments before I’ve tried out the RT implementation of this concept. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I +1 this comment. Nik continues to be the only FOSS application that I use, and that’s due in large part to U-point. It’s nothing short of sorcery.

2 Likes

It is over engineered, but not so different from some other tools. I think RawTherapee and others (such as NIK and its control spots) use them to avoid having to use layers and layer masks. If you know what you are doing you can make pretty good layer masks based on colour or tonality, and I find it easier to see and control the effects using a layer mask.

The problem with layers and layer masks is the amount of memory needed for each layer and its mask.

RawTherapee was never intended to be a full blown photo-editor so it is not surprising that it does not have brushes. If I want to do something that needs a brush I go into PhotoShop.

But somehow ART manages to cope with brushes, doesn’t it?