Local adjustments is in dev

@Wayne_Sutton,

Thanks for confirming.

@dngimage @Wayne_Sutton

Yes there was a bug…crash due to “Laplacian” not used in inverse…
I thik it is solved in branch “Local_ch”

Jacques

1 Like

I just merge this change :slight_smile:
jacques

1 Like

Thank you, it works well and is very useful.

@Wayne_Sutton

Thank you :slight_smile:
I just push 2 commit for all the curves in “color and Light”

Now, you have “references” (hue, luma, chroma) draw in each curve. I think it will help :slight_smile:
jacques

2 Likes

@heckflosse Will the changes affect the way the Edge Sharpness module in Wavelet Levels behaves and in particular this?
Screenshot from 2020-07-15 14-39-43

Wayne

I don’t think so

1 Like

@Wayne_Sutton

I think in all cases, its better…
Ingo replace a step pyramid, by a smooth pyramid…
The differences are small, but nevertheless it is better

Other thing
I found an old bug, in calculation H (LcH) use to hue reference to H (HSV) (uses by GUI curves), this differences leads to wrong values display…
I have fixed this (bad) behavior)

Jacques

1 Like

@jdc,

The Dynamic Range Compr. & Exposure” with inverse problem is gone.
C’est parfait maintenant.

2 Likes

Some questions about highlight recovery and local adjustments (among others)

Played around a few times with local adjustments and I think it’s really nice…

3 Likes

So local adjustments will be in the next stable release which will be released when? I am guessing it will be Version 6.0?

1 Like

Since the last commit (130fbb8 - Aug 10, 2020) many improvements have been made by Ingo @heckflosse , Pierre @Pandagrapher and me, and with advice from team members

• speed-up and code improvment ( especially the “wavelet” part)
  • rename the “normal” and “expert” complexity levels to “standard” and “advanced”
  • add complexity level “basic” : “basic” is simpler than “standard”, in particular, no mask, no curves…

jacques

5 Likes

Is Spot the only type?

Like freehand curves and bruishes aren’t in the dev local lab build?

The idea behind the original commercial spot concept was to have a quick and easy way of doing local edits without having to use brushes, lassos, magic wands etc., to create selections . It is the same idea behind RT-Spots which use their own algorithms and offer more flexibility:

• There are two shapes available (an ellipse and a rectangle), which can be adjusted asymmetrically around the spot itself.
  • You can control the detection mechanism within the shape to allow for more precise selections
  • You can associate parametric masks with the RT-Spot to refine the selection in difficult cases.

There is a description in Rawpedia under Local Adjustments (the translation is still work in progress). Local Adjustments - RawPedia

Hope that helps

1 Like

:scream: It feels really over engineered and oddly different from all other tools out there.

I always end up going back to Lightroom or ART and using the Brush tool with soft edges, takes about 20 seconds on complex shapes and great for about 80% of situations.

Compare this to, trying to fiddle around with selection using “sliders” which assume there is something in common like color to filter on.

Hmmm… still think there should be a brush option like the ART fork.

1 Like

The original U-Point concept as used in the the Nik Collection (c) was also quite different from the usual approach to local editing. However what suits one person may not suit another , which is why we are lucky to have so many options.
Personally I find RT-spots quick and easy for simple edits such as lifting the shadows on a face, adjusting skin tones, doing selective denoise and sharpening etc. etc.

The interface has three options: Basic, Standard and Advanced so it can be as simple or as comprehensive as you want.

1 Like

I have been a big fan of the U-Point approach since I first used it in Capture NX2 (then in PS via nik), so if RT-spot is similar I am a happy camper.

1 Like

So excited — I’ve been waiting years for this!

Is it possible to try it out now on macOS (without building from source)? Can’t find macOS among the automated builds.

I like the Lightroom brush, but I’m also in love with the u-point concept in Snapseed (also used CaptureNX long ago). A combination of both is probably the best, but I will hold my comments before I’ve tried out the RT implementation of this concept. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I +1 this comment. Nik continues to be the only FOSS application that I use, and that’s due in large part to U-point. It’s nothing short of sorcery.

2 Likes