The Local Adjustments tab contains a number of tools that are also useful as global adjustments (e.g. Log Encoding). Currently they can be used globally by creating a full-image spot and setting the Scope to 100 to disable the deltaE detection. While this works well in most cases, it requires a number of clicks and often considerable scrolling to set up. From a workflow standpoint it is cumbersome and could deter some users.
The proposed solution is to add the possibility of choosing between global or local adjustments at the top of the current local-adjustments menu. Selecting the global option hides the spot set-up menu along with the Preview deltaE and Scope options and lets the user add the appropriate tool as the next step. Now, using local-adjustments tools for global adjustments only requires one extra click compared to the other global tools in RawTherapee’s main menu.
You can see the exchanges here - issue:
And here - Pull Request:
Rawpedia - Mains differences between Local Adjustments and Rawtherapee in general
A summary of the current version of this PR.
- The system now works with 4 possible RT-spot choices :
- Normal : the basic setup for local editing.
- Exclude : authorizes to cancel a correction on a defined area.
- Full-image : uses the tools on the whole image, but retains the functionalities of LA - deltaE, transitions,…
- Global : uses the tools on the whole image without deltaE, transitions.
- in the Global case:
- the GUI is reduced to the strict minimum, allowing the execution of several sessions (several spots)
- you retain the possibility of LA, by associating several spots to correct the image with spots in “normal”, “exclude”, or even “full image” mode
- the center of the spot remains visible to allow, for example, multiple Graduated filters of variable “center”
- “Preferences” allows you to choose the default RT-spot type : Normal,…, Global.
- Of course this is only the default choice, you can change this choice for each spot created
- LA of this PR has just had modifications
- bugs and bad behavior in some cases when you want “Preview deltaE” in Settings or in “Mask and modifications” - Preview deltaE
- Most tools now have a Preview built into the tool
Thanks to @Wayne_Sutton for his cooperation and suggestions.