Local celestial object name resolution without network connection

I downloaded and installed the star catalogues namedstars.dat, unnamedstars.dat, deepstars.dat and USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat to be able to do the plate solving without a internet connection. The plate solving itself is working but I still need a internet connection to use SIMBAD to convert object names to coordinates as it is written in the Siril documentation because I’m using a Benro Polaris tripod head with the astro module which is piloted with a phone app and a ZWO camera connected to a Macbook, so there is no way actually that the FITS header contains the target coordinates…
Isn’t possible to also install a local SIMBAD database with the most usual celestial objects to be able to resolve names locally without a network ?

Hello, this is already implement but only partially: the annotation catalogues are used for name lookup of named stars, Messier, NGC objects, and some common aliases. But this requires exact names to get a match, and if there is no match it does an online request. We have planned to add an offline mode that would disable those requests (although you can recompile siril without networking support to achieve something similar).

What name are you searching for example, I’ll tell you the syntax that siril can find locally for it… Or you can look at the catalogue files stars.txt or messier.txt for example.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply ! I just looked in messier.txt as you suggested, maybe I was searching for “M 42” or “m42” instead of “M42”, I’ll give it another try soon !
Maybe in the future the searched name could be canonized, put in uppercase, space removed ?

oh sorry, it’s already the case in fact but not in 1.2, only in the development 1.3 version… No solution for now then, except using the unstable development version…