Local Lab build

Hello all
Thanks for testing !

I made various adjustments-modifications since my last message

Now exposure works better, and take into account “chroma”. Previous versions adjusted the exposure in lab mode by changing only the luminance
I add a slider “Chroma compensation” set to 30 by default

I think, that I will not make any changes - unless of course users request, or bug

Jacques

2 Likes

I tried and that didn’t work well. For the kind of thing that I do the tool as it is now is useless for me :frowning_face:
I believe I’ll have to get Capture One for that.

A normal dodge and burn kind of mask (and layers?) Is not possible to do in RawTherapee, or that is just a matter of choice in developing the tool? If it is the second case, I think its really a mistake.

I mean, I don’t want a software to try to judge for itself the area to apply a setting, this just don’t make sense for me as a photographer. If i want to bring up the exposure on just one side of a face because the lighting didn’t had the right contrast ratio, I simply can’t. I didn’t know there were other programs that worked that way, and I believe they shouldn’t.

Capture One has the best features in this regard of any photo editing program, as it have booth masks, with some kind of qualifier and layers.

A Node based workflow could be wonderful also, but I think that would really be impossible to implement hehe

@Vitor_Novaes
I’m not trying to challenge your point of view.

Did you see that there are masks in “Color and Light” and “Exposure” ?

Have you tried with multiple spot ?

Have you tried with the “Spot Method” : “Excluding spot” ?

Did you consult the documentation (in french) Local Adjustments/fr - RawPedia

jacques

1 Like

@gaaned92 and @jdc,

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-649-g5e66e402f_WinVista_64_190217.zip

https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/

Is running fine here.

@gaaned92 and @jdc,

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-653-g9a9fbe0d5_WinVista_64_190218.zip

Is running fine here.

@jdc Any hints on how one will use local adjustments to enhance the milky way in a night photo as here [PlayRaw] Milky Way over Geroldsee - #2 by kakashy ?

I added in “Color and Light” the function “Color correction grid” which allows a color shift.
Of course you can only act on a color selected with “scope”. You can modulate the intensity with “strength”

and original

jacques

2 Likes

@Daniel_Catalina
What exactly you want ?
“Milky way” is a very special image.
You can use (for me the best) “wavelet” and especially “Residual image”
Of course you can use also “locallab”, in addition with 2 settings
a) for the sky with "Retinex - Dehaze (strength 25 - chroma 9, Radius 160, Contrast 80, Dehaze 55, Scope 50)
b) for the bottom of the image : exposure

jacques

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions.

What I would like to do is selectively enhance color and contrast in the portion of the sky where the milky way is.

I will try the modules you suggest.

@Daniel_Catalina
The problem is what is the problem ?
I don’t know, what is a good image for milky way.

I know (I read forum for this thematic), the best tool is “wavelet” - with separation in levels for contrast and residual image. In this sense Rawtherapee has, I think of one of the most advanced tools in the field of wavelets
On other way, “Retinex + Dehaze” allow to increase contrast…and reduce the sensation of mist.

I think others tools, as “local contrast” must be used.
Of course you can also use, Color and Light and exposure with mask…
etc.

jacques

1 Like

@gaaned92 and @jdc,

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-658-g613784af9_WinVista_64_190219.zip

Is running fine here.

The new tools work really well, keeps getting better, thanks for all the hard work.

One thing that I have noticed is that the exposure tool in locallab behaves very differently. In the main tab, I can recover highlights from the sky very well, whilst trying to do it in locallab, it doesn’t work so well.

Here is a rough and ready example:
Original with sky over exposed:

Some sky details recovered using main exposure tab:

Trying to do the same with locallab, results in grey areas, but no details:

Any suggestions, is there a better way I can do this? Thanks!

GWR railway 43.RW2 (14.8 MB)
GWR railway 42.RW2.pp3 (19.3 KB)

@spidermonkey
First, thanks for testing !

it is obvious that there are differences of behavior

1. main exposure is at the begining of process

2. locallab is near the end

3. main exposure is in rgb mode

4. locallab exposure is in Lab* mode

I don’t say it is impossible to hav the same behaviour, but difficult

Nevertheless, I propose a pp3 which deals with the highlights but differently

GWR railway 43.RW2jdc.pp3 (19.3 KB)

The same modification but with the second file GWRrailways42.RW2 instead of GWRrailways43.RW2

I commit a change, with

• replace “int” by “double” for “deltaE weakening” “Exposure expcomp”, “Sharpening Radius and Blur radius”
  • to harmonize with main menu, and also more accurate

You must clear cache (or delete cache)

jacques

1 Like

Thanks for the pp3 Jacques, I look forward to trying it out. I guess the best strategy is to try and adjust highlights with other tools which have more image information to play with, then lighten areas of the image using locallab.

@spidermonkey,
I use Local Lab’s Tone curve to take care of that.
Included is a pp3. I hope it helps.

@jdc,
Salut Jacques, thanks for your hard work and the fun time. I wish you the best with this wonderful project. Merci :slight_smile:
I will be away from RT’s Local Lab.

GWR railway 43.RW2.pp3 (15.5 KB)

@dngimage
Thank you for all tests…

jacques

@dngimage @spidermonkey

there are other ways to get there, for example

GWR railway 42.RW2jdc3.pp3 (19.2 KB)

The first spot, to reduce the exposure of the sky, is an exclude spot, on the half upper image
The second spot, to increase the exposure of the passenger and railways is a normal spot

1 Like

We can improve the result, with 2 others spot, to to lighten the shadows in the trees

GWR railway 42.RW2jdc4.pp3 (26.7 KB)

To compare with original

I just added “shadows Highlight” (only in Lab mode). This allows a good improvement in the case above

I just commit today (March 4th)

• 2 GUI changes : 1:1 to some expanders and Display hue chroma luma ref to mask curves (thanks to Pandagrapher
  • add slider to improve mask with “GuideFilter”

Jacques

2 Likes