Local reduced size copy of Library stored on external drives

New here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I travel and take videos/photos which I carry around on external hard drives. I currently have about 5 hard drives (range of 1TB,2TB, 4TB) with all my content which I carry around with me. (aside: I know I should get one very large hard drive, but budget, you know)

Sometimes I want to go through my whole library and choose some images for a specific project, however I can’t work out a quick and easy way to do this. Currently I plug in each hard drive in turn (only have two usb ports) and then go through all the images.

Can I somehow create a low resolution copy of all my images on my internal drive and then use that as my library? Or will some software help me here (DigiKam, Darktable, etc.) I don’t mind if I manually then have to go get the images from the external drives, its just the scanning through thumbnails in a library is quite cumbersome.

Hope this all makes sense.

I wonder if there is a setting in DigiKam which allows you to set the thumbnail to be stored within the database? I can’t find a setting that does this, but feels like the kind of thing that might be there.

Both digikam and darktable will generate thumbnails and show them even when the source image isn’t available. It really depends on your exact workflow.

1 Like

Interesting… I am trying out Digikam now to see if it will work for me, feels promising although a little bit sluggish.

Regarding Darktable, I can see that works sometimes, but often when I go to click on an item in “recently used collections” and I have already disconnected the external media i get most of the images showing up with the black skull (see below).

Do you think it is possible that I have some of my settings wrong?

You need to leave the disk plugged in until thumbnail generation is complete.