Localisation / Translation suggestion

Hi,
It seems I was not able to find a dedicated topic for this…

So if I understood well, there is “always” some kind of tags or variable names which are unique and precede the text to translate?!? But for people like me it’s it’s like trying to read Mandarin or even worse it’s like searching for a needle in a haystack as I don’t know if the founded word is a part of the programming or a word I can translate… :fearful:

Why not to use a software (or made a tiny one or adapt a FLOSS one to G’MIC tags/variables) which detect those tags/variables and show the original text on one side and a text-field on the other side (the translated text), then when we save it saves as a new gmic’s doc extension.

This idea came when I saw the Inkscape translation page
https://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Translation_information#Tools_for_translators

Translators can use software like

• Poedit (cross-platform);
  • Lokalize (KDE).
  • Emacs’s po-mode (contained in the gettext distribution; the version in po-utils is old);
  • gedit — text editor for GNOME desktops, has a syntax highlight mode for PO file syntax;
  • Virtaal — cross-platform PO editor that is clean, simple to use yet powerful;
  • Gtranslator (GNOME).

Gtranslator seems simple and nicely done and it’s only 650Kb (found on Google image), can it be modified for G’MIC?

Just an idea.

For the translation of filters. There are a single way to do this, it’s modifying the files in :

The other way (writing some specific .gmic files) is old and won’t be supported in the future.

Ok, sorry I give up, I cannot understand how things work, I’m not even able to locate the en.ts at gmic-qt/translations/filters at master · c-koi/gmic-qt · GitHub
Sorry

It doesn’t exist yet… I wonder if we could add translation capability to gmic community. :pleading_face:

Depends on how wide G’MIC wants to be spread, we know that language can be a hard wall to hit. And now with the 8bf filter for Photoshop/Affinity, it might become necessary

Something like the mock-up below (a button at the end of each filter to open the webpage of that filter for example) would maximize the chances for G’MIC being translated in many languages in no time as each and every single user will see it.

Also IMHO 99.99% Volunteers able to help to translate are not programmers, asking them to look in the programming code where only programmers know where to look at and what can be translated will prone volunteers to sulk over that translation (just my very humble opinion)

The best solution I can think of is to have something like that, but translator have an automated way of copying the code, and then post instructions on making merge requests, and then one of us will take care of it.

1 Like

Can some one put the en.ts on line? (I’m stubborn, I really want to translate in English :crazy_face: )

Create an issue in GitHub, or make a pull request by following the instructions in gmic-qt/HOWTO.md at master · c-koi/gmic-qt · GitHub.

1 Like

I don’t understand, English is already the base language that is translated to get all other languages. There is absolutely no need for an ‘English translation’ file !

1 Like

For info I don’t live in France, My computer is all in English, I don’t have ANY software in French but some G’MIC filters are in French and/or English is wrong-shorted: Just an example below.

An en.ts file is needed :wink:

That’s a custom filter. If @David_Tschumperle decides that you have a point, we’ll need to ask @samj if it is ready for translation.

Actually, this is because the author of these filters (@samj) has done these filters with French as the default language. This is not really expected.
English should be the default language.

Oh, Ok