Looking for developer / artist

Hi all;

Looking for artists and developers to build an automated sequence.
Where should I look?

I’m not sure what an “automated sequence” might be - would you mind providing some more details please?

1 Like

Thanks for this.

I have a set scenario (sequence), made of several audio and video objects (with set transitions between scenes or shots).
The reason I used the word objects, is that through an API, I want to feed a series of such objects, render them to a video file, rinse and repeat.
The system must be completely automatic.

What does the toolchain look like?

I need to design it afresh, as I have something similar built in after effects.

Over 10 years ago, I wrote a video editor that can be entirely command-line driven. The key is a text edit list that points to the assets (videos, stills, audio, captions etc) and how we want them chopped up, processed, colorised, FX-ed, sequenced, merged and transitioned to make a video. The edit list is a simple format that can be created by hand or automatically.

I haven’t published that editor. Some sample outputs are at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQSlRAKpgJOMJVPgCjvhSiA

Since I wrote it, the software world has moved on, and I expect some FOSS or commercial software can do much the same thing.

Building it from scratch would be a major job.

1 Like

Interesting.
Adobe after effects offers scripting, and it natron web page states aimilar capabilities via Python.
I tend to prefer Natron + custom script for scalability reasons.

So such project entails:

1. Creative work, arranging and lauering assets
  2. Programming, building the envelop scripts and communication with external APIs

Is this a paying job? What’s the end goal? The lack of details makes me skeptical.

1 Like

Yes, it is a paying job.
However, I am at the evaluation phase:
I was planning to do it with Adobe After Effects, but did not like the constraints there.
Learned of Natron only a week ago.
My parameters for doing it with Natron:

• Can it do the job (it appears it can, with sound mix done externally with ffmpeg, that’s OK)
  • How complicated would be the compositing set-up? I am no video professional, but I do like the node approach and I think it would be reasonably straight forward
  • Can all functions and parameters be implemented in a script? This remains to be seen, ie I need someone to quote for the job
  • Can the script be activated via API, send finished videos, etc without human intervention? I need someone to quote for the job
  • How can this be implemented over the cloud, in scale? I need someone to quote for the job

I am willing to pay for a 2 hour consulting with an expert.

I have worked on gmic-py over the last 14 months, and it allows to blend images for sure… I have also worked with Flask, Django, Google Cloud Platform, the Echonest API for playlists generation (now owned by Spotify)…
Making such graphics pipelines is part of my dream job, why not in Canada or wherever else than France if it were for a long duration… even though I do not know all the graphics tools for now.
One important thing for you is maybe also the time required for generation… generation of preview and/or final quality/resolution… and the connectability of the solution behind a webservice endpoint if you want something web-based.

Just I am focused on chocolate making for now till July… BTW if your tool is to be a cornerstone of your business, you may build a prototype first, then hire someone on the long term and rework that prototype to a solid working and extendable/maintainable thing…

I hope that you will end up with some nice person working for your idea.

1 Like

I’ve moved this into the Natron category, so hopefully it’ll get a few more eyes.

I’m totally OK with people posting for paid work, it is fantastic, but please understand that the forum and staff have nothing to do with this nor are we to be involved in any contract. We are not liable for anything as a result of posting, paid work, or anything of the sort.

Good luck!

Thanks for this.
Where should I look, then?
And disclaimer received. I’m here educating though for practical reasons.

BTW, your previous comment about rendering time is a major concern considering options such as after effects that until now seem less scalable.

1 Like

Consider also if you need to show custom 3d elements, such as custom text etc… in between…
If so and if Natron does not it do it, or other solutions do not have it easy, Blender3d eVee (the GPU renderer counterpart of Blender Cycles) or some paid cloud farm-rendering could be used…

Good points.
Thankfully I don’t need any 3d elements at this point - only ,multi layered 2d objects and backgrounds

Natron has a text node which uses pango/cairo backends (free software vector graphics/font renderers): Text node — Natron 2.3.16 documentation
and a workflow for SVG reading and displaying (think about logos or custom icons…):
Vector graphics workflow — Natron 2.3.16 documentation

(but I have never used Natron…, so I encourage other talent to reach out to you or reciprocally if this tool could fit)

1 Like

Hi Yoel, I’m currently developing a new application called Mewa (mewatools.com).
Mewa is still under-development but if what you need is an application that executes scripts to perform automated tasks, then I can help you with a solution that covers all your requirements. Note that this solution will be provided as part of the public Mewa scripting API.
Please let me know if you need anymore details
My email: hugo@mewatools.com

This looks promising! When it’s released will it be open source?

Hi Antonio, thanks for your interest.
Mewa development is currently in progress without an official date for it’s release.
Mewa will be free and open to everyone.

We are trying new ways and new ideas to obtain a software solution that is more intuitive, that offers a higher degree of freedom. The aim is to allow users to innovate more and increase their productivity.

If you have any ideas or thoughts please let us know.

Sorry to nit pick but by this do you mean released under an open source license?

1 Like