Looking for help about colour and crisp in attach image

Hi Pixlers,
I was recommended to post the raw file here so here it goes. It’s a backlight shot which gives a nasty yellow tint. I can use white balance onthe waves but it will make the image “too correct”. The pic should be cropped very wide and I want the yellow sail to really pop…while decreasing the yellowish tint on the water and sky. It’s ok with slightly over cooked saturation imo for this kind of photo. I’d like to get the wave caps crisp. I attach an attempt. Very curious to see other interpretations. However I’m happy with the photo itself. Sony A7iii+ new Tamron 150-500. A-mode F8. Min SS 1/2000. Auto ISO max 12800. Cont AF expanded spot. I uploaded my xmp.

Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike .

DSC05243.ARW.xmp (11.5 KB)

DSC05243.ARW (47.0 MB)

3 Likes

Hello. First thanks for sharing this file. You may have to use the “Play raw” category and post your image as:

Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

To avoid any kind of legal issues. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Greetings.

1 Like

@MPiX I changed the category Mats…you just need to paste in what Franklin has shared and your are good to go I believe… you can just edit the post and add it

2 Likes

Thx Todd. I hope I did it right this time. /Mats

1 Like

DSC05243.ARW.xmp (15.8 KB)

1 Like

ART

There is a pretty strong vignette…DT doesn’t seem to find your lens yet…so I cheated to get some vignette correction

nice challenge, here my try with RT dev3049 with white balance on the sky area. Since the Tamron lenses are not yet known in RT i chose the Sigma 150-500 and tried to correct the vignette manually. Due of this brightening up some sensor spots in the sky needed to be removed. Popping the sail is done by increasing brightness and chrominance on the yellow color as a local adjustment.

DSC05243.ARW.jpg.out.pp3 (18,4 KB)

2 Likes

@MPiX : Using your crop.

DSC05243_01.ARW.xmp (14.0 KB)

1 Like

Can DT use the lens corrections embedded in the metadata?

colour.and.crisp.pp3 (24.7 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

4 Likes

Avec Art en maintenant la teinte chaude.
“With Art keeping the shade warm.”

DSC05243.ARW.arp (46,6 Ko)

1 Like

Hej @MPiX och välkommen!

Here is one of my interpretations…

DSC05243.ARW.xmp (9.5 KB)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

6 Likes

From the sublime to the ridiculous??? In GIMP.

Hi, why did you attach a sidecar for a JPG file? Did you process in two steps? If so, what did you do to created the JPG?

Hi @kofa!

Sorry about that — I simply grabbed the latest xmp without thinking.
Link changed above.

Normally, I always export from dt to The Gimp, where I crop, re-size, and frame the image. Sometimes I even tweak levels a bit, &c.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I think it has to be in the lensfun DB but I really don’t know …from some of the playraws I have tried it seems like it can pull the correct name but if there is no lens profile I don’t see that indicated…I may have warnings turned off and that could be it or it could be the way it is…I actually don’t know…

Yes, your camera’s ‘as-shot’ white balance multipliers are not your friend in this image…

I dialed the numbers around to drag the RGB histogram peaks together, then used a two-tone-curve strategy, a loggamma curve to lift everything into workability, then a control point curve to shape the contrast of the water without desaturating the sky. Then, I did an aggressive crop; I had the most fun with that, trying to emphasize the smallness of the surfboarder against the wild surf. In rawproc:

I’m using the lensfun version_2 db, and the only 150-500mm lens it has is a Sigma, with the nomenclature “Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM”. In the image metadata, exiftool finds the actual EXIF:LensModel tag, in which this value is found: “E 150-500mm F5-6.7 A057”. Are these two names the same lens?

Nice image, gives good space to consider composition…

7 Likes

DSC05243-4.jpg.out.pp3 (14,3 KB)

5 Likes

My version…

Darktable 3.9.0~git24.477bc5c41a-1
DSC05243.ARW.xmp (26.4 KB)

1 Like