Losing the red and gold "glow" in fall colors.

Am I the only one who will snapshot an image, forget about it, move on to another image, and drag the snapshot “window” slider over and the completely different image surprises/scares me a bit?
Like biting into a chocolate chip cookie, thinking its a raisin cookie.
Disconcerting.

I think I reached the look I wanted. Awesome suggestions and info – I truly do appreciate it.

5 Likes

Another image for me to play with in GIMP!
I used a plug-in to increase the saturation in the high and medium saturation areas. It has added a “healthy” glow to the flesh colours which I could have avoided with the use of a mask if that was not desired.

1 Like

Thanks for the share. I am always on the lookout for new images with which to test my custom presets on, and this image seems to work well with a much wider array of them than almost any other image.

My presets rely heavily on LUTs and are named based on either the original image it was developed for or my generic feelings I get from it. If you want to source a LUT (all are available free somewhere online), let me know. Processed in RT Dev.

roses are red.jpg.out.pp3 (16.6 KB)

bold colors.jpg.out.pp3 (15.5 KB)

high key warm.jpg.out.pp3 (14.8 KB)

fall fishing.jpg.out.pp3 (17.4 KB)

(This one I ‘cheated’ a bit. I had to move one slider as the original preset looked too faded on this image)

shadow detail.jpg.out.pp3 (14.9 KB)

Don’t worry about that - be glad you’re not like me - thinning steadily ever since I was about 17. Just genetics. :stuck_out_tongue:

No, I do that too. I like the functionality, as I can (for example) load a snapshot of a jpg, then compare it to the image I’m working on, but it is funny sometimes.

I think this thread should help

Hello Jake! Looks like the jpeg has slightly more magenta in the midtones, with your edit skewing slightly green.

For my interpretation of what you were going for, I focused on retaining integrity of the skin tones while blending colors into more of an analogous shape (for nostalgic portrait tonality), finished off with using Sigmoid’s display luminance sliders to compress blacks and whites into soft matte tones.

edited_without_glow.ORF.xmp (54.8 KB)

cowboy shot/ medium long shot crop

Thank you for sharing!

6 Likes

1001 ways to interpret this; decided to darken the sides and lighten the path as well as increase the saturation a bit. :slight_smile:

edited_without_glow.ORF.xmp (17.7 KB)

Another try.

@lightlover
This is the picture my RAW wants to give.
The problem is, there was no green! The few shrubs in front, maybe. But everything else is overwhelmingly red/gold

I deliberately toned down the reds (more likely shifted the orange/yellow to green/yellow) to be able to increase saturation and luminosity, but there are plenty of reds in the raw file… :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah I shouldnt blame the raw. Carbon - based issues.

edited_without_glow.ORF.xmp (15.8 KB)

Try kind of replicate the OOC jpg as It was the original topic,

I think the gold glow impression on a not so contrasty picture comes from the work on local contrasts @ small to medium scale, which I introduced withe the hel of the contrast equalizer

1 Like

edited_without_glow.jpg.out.pp3 (15.2 KB)

edited_without_glow.ORF.xmp (17.5 KB)

Another one version

My fun in GIMP and GMIC

Came up with this…

edited_without_glow.ORF.xmp (16.6 KB)

4 Likes