Low clouds over Morbach

Playing with this for a while (darktable), but I am curious what other people see here? (top is edited)
The sunlight coming through the clouds is just amazing, but the sharpening…
Too much? Have I wondered down a weird path? Most of my time with photos is done in a vacuum, unfortunately. No one else looking at it and saying “but why…”

PB050249.ORF (13.4 MB)
PB050249.ORF.xmp (27.5 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this image.
My play in GIMP - local adjustments to contrast and saturation.

1 Like

I spend so much time looking through a 4/3 ratio, its weird to see things in a different shape. It brings the focus into the center in a good way.

Nice picture!
With Ansel :
PB050249.ORF.xmp (42.9 KB)

Very nice photo!
Darktable 4.2.0.

PB050249.ORF.xmp (10.6 KB)

4 Likes

PB050249.ORF.xmp (11.7 KB)

5 Likes

My version…

PB050249.ORF.xmp (19.5 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you all for the interpretations!
Similar, but with different…moods? all from the same image.
Of course, I open up your XMP and get lost immediately. I like what you did with it, but how you got there is taking a lot more looking

1 Like

I’ve brightened the shadows with thone equalizer and darkened the highlights with the graduated filter, the diffuse or sharpen module was used for a light denoise (it’s a preset that I use, just increase the iteration for a more aggressive denoise :muscle:t2:).
Sharpening was done with unsharp mask at the end and contrast equalizer before sigmoid

My fun Gimp

2 Likes

PB050249.ORF.xmp (11.7 KB)

3 Likes

Work from the bottom up in the active module tab…disable each module as you go to see the impact and check the settings at the same time… Also look for mask icons showing that the module uses a mask …this can give you a clue there is a local edit being used… and after that… just ask…:slight_smile:

RGB Curve and Color zones were both used to good effect, and those are 2 modules I dont think I have ever touched. I need to look at those more.
Edit: No, might be the graduated density filter adding that mood.
Hmmm. Much to think on

1 Like

I see it as a very gloomy scene. Great shot! dt 4.2.1

PB050249.ORF.xmp (7.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.2

PB050249.ORF.xmp (30.9 KB)

darktable-4.3.0+704
PB050249_10.ORF.xmp (34.3 KB)

Magnificent clouds! Nice composition too. How did you end up at this spot just when it looked like this?

1 Like

We have lived in Germany for about a year now, and every time i step outside, I am met with another scene like this.
We took a drive from Frankfurt down to Trier, and the entire time was fall colors, stormy skies, and green everything. I pulled over to check out a cool old tower, snapped a picture with my phone, and then realized I needed to dig the camera out of the trunk. Glad I did.
I come from the desert in the US, so Germany (and Europe, in general) is just so foreign.

2 Likes